close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old ammo question???

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by Glide Rider, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Glide Rider

Glide Rider Distinguished Poster

My Sweetie just got a 3" sp101 in 357 mag and I stopped at a local gun store to pick up some range ammo. After I gathered up some 38special to get her going on and some 357 for when she got used to it. I stumbled on some old Remington 38 special in plain white boxes of 50... Packed like 22's. 6 bucks a box! There nickle brass and lead ball nose.
    Just curious... How old are they? I know the Bridgeport plant closed in 83. I grabbed 3 and didn't want to be a greedy SOB so I left another 5 for the next guy. They were still there today and followed me home... Hate breaking up a family.
    Any guesses?

2. Glide Rider

3. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

My guess unless you got some winters behind you you need to call that ammo Mister and Sir!! :D:D

22lrfan likes this.
  4. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

Nothing at all wrong with it unless you see visible signs of corrosion. People are still buying and shooting military ammo from WWI.

canebreaker, 22lrfan, Shrek and 3 others like this.
  5. Glide Rider

Mister and sir... Lol... For being old farts they still get up and fly!

6. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

I believe I would hold on to that stuff!! Some collector will most likely want that!

Shrek, fordpkup and para40 like this.
  7. Glide Rider

I got to wondering about that after the first box...

Shrek, fordpkup, para40 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam & Persian Gulf Wars MSGO Supporter

Jack First Inc used to sell antique cartridges. 7 or 8 years ago bought some .38 Colt Auto for a 1906 precursor to 1911 there.
    Even though they no longer sell, there may be somebody with infor on yours. Pleasant folks to deal with out of South Dakota, Phone:
    1-605-343-9544. They apprear to be gun enthusiasts rather than profiteers, and they can at least point you to someone who knows.:fyi:

9. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    What a great find. Congrats

10. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam & Persian Gulf Wars MSGO Supporter

I told the old geezer, now put it up someplace safe!!! Next time he comes to the shop; out it comes from the truck door, unprotected, but loaded. It's his gun for emergencies. Geezers, what ya gonna' do with 'em.

ETA: It was in 98% or better. (He wouldn't sell or trade)