close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old S&W

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by vr1967, Apr 20, 2016.

1. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

Thought I read in a thread the other day about an old S&W nickle top break, so thought would take a picture of one we have in the family.

I think this is an old 4th Model in .38 S&W, SN is 244,xxx, still gets shot some, but ammo is getting hard to find. Got a good bit of wear, but for a roughly hundred year old working gun, it should.

If anyone knows anything about these please let me know, as the 4th Model is just a guess.

image.jpg

BasMstr, 22lrfan, Tall Boy and 4 others like this.
  2. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Nice. I have a U.S. Revolver clone my Papaw owned. Something is broken on the internals but I don't want to shoot it anyway.

3. Tall Boy

Tall Boy Distinguished Poster

VR, I'm looking at the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 2nd edition. It shows the .38 double action 4th model as having a serial number range of 322701 to 539000.

Your handgun's serial number falls in line with 3rd model, 119001 to 322700. 203,700 were made 1884 to 1895. An easy difference that I see with yours is that the Catalog shows nickel finish guns having a blue trigger-guard. Perhaps yours has been refinished?
    Tall

4. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

Thanks Tallboy.
    I'm not really sure if the 1st number is a 2 or a 3. Will get someone with better eyes than me to look when I can.

I have no clue if it has been refinished. Will ask some of the older family members of they remember more about it.

Now to find the old Winchester Rifle that was my grgrgreat grandfather's (it was a 73,76 or 86)

5. Tall Boy

Tall Boy Distinguished Poster

Other than serial number ranges the 3rd and 4th models are very similar. About the only difference I see is that there was a change in the sear on the 4th model for better DA pull.
    Tall

6. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

Let Art check it out. Being that old I would only use low pressure loads or black powder loads. I have a set of dies I can load some up once I get things together.