·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Post them here and I'll add them to the list. I'll start:

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,507 Posts
LOL, the state when it checks its list of gun sights will add these to their tax list.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, the state when it checks its list of gun sights will add these to their tax list.
I’m pretty sure that’s not how it works.

They have to do more than $250,000 in business in MS before they have to charge sales tax.

so yes, by encouraging our members to shop there, we may put them over the limit...but it’s not some arbitrary decision by someone in the gubmint

Reactions: infosponge

·
Registered
10,689 Posts
Yeah, given some of the ardent defense of the "use tax" in the past on here by a few members, I don't mention that in my posts in the "good deals" thread either. Even if the vendor doesn't go over $250k, it may have the potential to get them on an audit list for special scrutiny.

I think the SCOTUS decision may also have been a bit vague on whether that $250k is per year, or some longer time period (possibly total of all sales over however many years) and that was just essentially a commentary to indicate a reasonable guideline. IMO, this somewhat spineless statist leaning SCOTUS is unlikely to revisit it again if states get greedy. It could be set in stone and yearly, but I don't recall seeing wording to that effect (I could be very wrong, it's been a while).

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Mississippi’s DoR is pretty clear.

“Remote sellers with annual Mississippi sales in excess of the $250,000 small seller exception should register for a Mississippi Use Tax Account and begin collecting tax no later than September 1, 2018. All online or remote sellers seeking to comply with these provisions should visit https://tap.ms.gov to register with the Department.

Online sellers seeking to determine whether they meet or exceed the $250,000 small seller exception should make this determination based on their total sales into this state in the prior twelve-month period. A total sales measure means and includes all sales into this state, both those that are wholesale and those that are taxable under the Mississippi sales and use tax statutes. Total sales also includes any sales that are subject to any exemption provided by the Mississippi sales tax statutes.”

Regardless, the responsible party is the vendor, not the consumer. I’m going to use every legal opportunity at my disposal to avoid taxes if possible. As for the vendors, selling over a quarter million dollars of merchandise in this state is not a bad problem to have.

Reactions: 2A_1791

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Better take advantage while you can. Biden wants to ban all online sales.

Reactions: Cliff731

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,507 Posts
I’m pretty sure that’s not how it works.

They have to do more than $250,000 in business in MS before they have to charge sales tax.

so yes, by encouraging our members to shop there, we may put them over the limit...but it’s not some arbitrary decision by someone in the gubmint
I was actually being sarcastic but forgot the upside down smiley.

But in todays climate who knows. The 2nd amendment is pretty cut and dry , pretty damn clear also, "shall not be infringed" but look how well that has worked out. Of course it isn't a arbitrary decision by anyone in the gubmint to restrict firearm ownership at every level.🙃

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,687 Posts
I was actually being sarcastic but forgot the upside down smiley.

But in todays climate who knows. The 2nd amendment is pretty cut and dry , pretty damn clear also, "shall not be infringed" but look how well that has worked out. Of course it isn't a arbitrary decision by anyone in the gubmint to restrict firearm ownership at every level.🙃
Rigrat... in regards here to your "2nd Amendment statement"... :geek:

(I should properly preface this unless my intent is misunderstood... what follows is 100% sarcasm)...

That 2nd Amendment "interpretation" thing has clearly been an "oversight" by past generations... and obviously was taken out of context for far too long. Placement of "commas", or, not, withstanding,... We need to rein it in, eh??? It's an antiquated notion... it is out of date, simply superfluous, and contrary to the current times as we live in today. Individual citizens civilians simply don't need to be armed with dangerous weapons anymore... 🙀🤒🙃

[/sarcasm]
The sad fact is this - there's a lot of folks who would agree with that above "statement". They place total faith in our gubbermit to take care of 'em and protect them from all peril and harm... o_O

Reactions: A B

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,687 Posts
I somehow recall that MS 7% sales tax collection and revenue from out of State of MS vendors was the topic here... :whistle:

--------RESUME NORMAL PROGRAMMING--------

I'm sad to report that Bud's Gun Shop charges/adds our State of MS 7% sales tax now to any online purchases from their website... :confused:

Reactions: maxhush and A B

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,687 Posts
I'm sure that could never change...
Me thinks it's grossly unfair that we don't have kangaroos bouncing around in the U.S.A.... :ROFLMAO:

(my sarcasm switch was still inadvertently "on"... :D )

Do not the Aussies "down under" BBQ those critters??? :unsure:

Reactions: maxhush

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,856 Posts
Not talkin about guns, but I am sure some of those eBay sellers never do $250,000 worth of business---much less $250,000 in Mississippi.

And yet they charge Mississippi sales tax.

I have no doubt that the money NEVER makes it to the Mississippi Sales Tax coffers.

It's just the seller's way of making an additional 7% on the sale.

This all started when some software company pushed out a computer program that automatically adds sales tax to all internet sales based upon the buyer's address. And the states love it.

·
Registered
10,689 Posts
Me thinks it's grossly unfair that we don't have kangaroos bouncing around in the U.S.A.... :ROFLMAO:

(my sarcasm switch was still inadvertently "on"... :D )

Do not the Aussies "down under" BBQ those critters??? :unsure:
Or at least wallabies, but no, North America got one marsupial that survived, the mighty opossum. BTW, whatever happened to that escaped kangaroo from a few years back?

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,687 Posts
Or at least wallabies, but no, North America got one marsupial that survived, the mighty opossum. BTW, whatever happened to that escaped kangaroo from a few years back?
A very good question... :cool:

Reactions: maxhush

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ebay automatically adds the sales tax now. It isn't up to the sellers as to whether it's charged. Same as with gunbroker. They're gonna start adding it to almost everyone and charging the sellers along with their sales fees.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have no doubt that the money NEVER makes it to the Mississippi Sales Tax coffers.
Actually, you'd generally be wrong. Penalties for witholding sales tax and not remiting it are VERY strict and state auditors are extremely aggressive about looking for this kind of fraud. That kind of collection is kind of like "low hanging fruit" that state auditors can easily go after.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,856 Posts
Actually, you'd generally be wrong. Penalties for witholding sales tax and not remiting it are VERY strict and state auditors are extremely aggressive about looking for this kind of fraud. That kind of collection is kind of like "low hanging fruit" that state auditors can easily go after.
So . . . when I bought something from a small vendor located in podunk Connecticut on eBay for $15.00 (almost certainly the seller's only sale to a Mississippi resident), and I get charged $1.05 sales tax, do you really believe that $1.05 finds its way to the Mississippi tax coffers?

·
Registered
13,169 Posts
So . . . when I bought something from a small vendor located in podunk Connecticut on eBay for $15.00 (almost certainly the seller's only sale to a Mississippi resident), and I get charged $1.05 sales tax, do you really believe that $1.05 finds its way to the Mississippi tax coffers?
It’s eBay handling the money, so I bet it does. They didn’t get to be a multi billion dollar company skirting the rules and paying fines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts