Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So . . . when I bought something from a small vendor located in podunk Connecticut on eBay for $15.00 (almost certainly the seller's only sale to a Mississippi resident), and I get charged $1.05 sales tax, do you really believe that $1.05 finds its way to the Mississippi tax coffers?
Probably. I assume eBay would’ve handled it automatically. Not the seller.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Probably. I assume eBay would’ve handled it automatically. Not the seller.
I've never sold anything through Ebay (bought a huge amount though). They probably do it similar to what Gunbroker is now doing. Gunbroker collects the tax from the seller when they collect the listing fee and then they are the one who remits it to the state.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,856 Posts
I looked up what eBay says (it's ambiguous):
---------------------------------------------------------------
Sellers' tax responsibilities

You are responsible for paying all fees and taxes associated with using eBay as an eBay seller.

Your tax-related responsibilities may include:

• Paying sales tax on eBay sales

eBay sales tax collection

Based on applicable tax laws, eBay will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers for items shipped to customers in the following states and territories (Mississippi is included in the list):
When a buyer purchases an item on eBay, and the ship to address is one of the above states, eBay will calculate and add the applicable sales tax at checkout. The buyer will pay both the cost of the item along with the sales tax. eBay will collect and remit the tax.

Sellers are not able to opt out of selling items into the states listed above or opt out of eBay automatically collecting sales tax.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

But then it says:

Top Takeaway
When you list your item you need to indicate that you charge sales tax in the listing form. It's up to you to pay applicable taxes on eBay sales.
Taxes and import charges

21 - 23 of 23 Posts