Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With apologies to Britney Spears...

Shiloh Sharps #4 is on the way here from a dealer up in Michigan, only this one isn't a 45/70. The new one (used, but in really good shape) is a 45/90, and it should be here on Monday. At least I have all the loading gear ready to go. The rifle comes with 200 rounds of brass, and I purchased another 100 new cases from Midway.

Sheesh, I'm getting obsessive / compulsive in my old age. I'm going to need to order some more 20:1 bullet alloy and lots more Goex FFG.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=175526238

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
Really, really nice!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this one's going to be my going out in the woods rifle. It's not really great for smokeless loads, but I'm going to do some load research just to see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My old Cartridges of the World book says the smokeless powder .45-90 came out in 1895 and was discontinued about 1936. One of the loads showing is using a 405 gr. bullet with 28 grs. of 4759...muzzle velocity is 1410.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't right now

rdj94a said:
The rifle should get here on Monday or Tuesday, so all I have is one of the pictures from the Gunbroker ad. The seller did send me several other shots, but they're all closeups. Basically it's roughly identical to my Shiloh Sporter #1, but with a lighter, full octagon barrel and a shotgun buttstock.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quigley, I went looking for some 4749 today and washed out. I will be able to pick some up at the Hattiesburg Gun Show in a few weeks. I'll have a table of muzzle loading accessories and ammo, but alas, I don't have the powder I really need right now.

:tears:

·
Premium Member
14,561 Posts
YES..... VERY NICE ! ! !

45-90...... OOOOHs & AAAAHs..... :)

For some light loads... look into Unique or TrailBoss powders.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want to go too light, as I'd like my loads to have some utility other than just plinking at beer cans. I don't have any data handy for Unique, but it's one of my all time favorite powders, so I'll start researching immediately.

The load that Quigley mentioned which sends a 405 out at 1410 is more in line with what I want, but I'll have to start collecting powder. That's actually a little less robust than my 405 smokeless load in 45/70, which sends the same bullet downrange at 1550 using Reloder #7.

I

1 - 14 of 14 Posts