Open carry handgun at 18?

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by tonoavail, Oct 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tonoavail

tonoavail Distinguished Poster

I would like to open carry when i go on walks and i can find no clear answer saying if this is legal or not. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated

2. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    I would think not as have to be 21 to purchase a handgun

3. Rw

Rw Distinguished Poster

But, possession is legal at 18 in ms

4. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    Not big on open carry anyway. Think element of surprise is big advantage. I'm all for the right to and glad one can just not for me most of the time. Unless just around the house or can cover it with a jacket, basically concealing it. Legally can carry long gun I think. Just be ready for extra attention.

5. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    Ahh okay. Learn something new eryday lol

LeansVeryRight2016 likes this.
  6. tonoavail

I would conceal but i know that is illegal at 18 i think. And i really dont want the attention that carrying a long gun brings

7. tonoavail

I am aware the possesion is legal but im unclear on exactly what they mean by possesion.

8. Rw

Rw Distinguished Poster

You might want to pm 2alawyer on this, if anybody here knows for sure he would.

9. tonoavail

Thanks for the info, just pm'd him

10. Megiddo

Megiddo Distinguished Poster

I am by no means a lawyer, but MS law does say that any resident not prohibited from owning firearms and over the age of 18 can possess a "firearm" openly or concealed in a car, house, property or business associated with his name. Mississippi was already an open carry state for "firearms", no distinction between long guns or handguns except minors aren't allowed to carry. The "law" passed in 2013 simply clarified that "open" included belt, hip and shoulder holsters as well as "sheaths." This update stated that as long as the gun and/or said holster were partially visible "to common observation" (so half-cover with a jacket at your own risk, some cops might call you on that). So, as long as said handgun is carried in this manner and not concealed, then yes you can. I open carried myself from 18-20 with absolutely no problems. The only comments I got were positive, and as long as I stayed out of "no gun" areas, it was perfectly legal. I also tried to find a federal law prohibiting 18-20 from carrying, but found none. They simply don't allow purchase under 21, so if your parent or guardian purchases a handgun for you (which does not violate straw purchase by the way), and they trust you enough to allow it then go for it. Just adjust your behavior accordingly; "with great power comes great responsibility" and all that. :D

All of that notwithstanding, you can always check with a lawyer on this. I would strongly advise you to read the relevant MS code yourself too. Also, like onlymaroonmatters said, you run the risk of being a target if someone starts trouble, but for me it was worth the tradeoff simply to have it when I needed it.

11. tonoavail

Thanks for the reply. I contacted a lawyer on msgo and am waiting for a response

12. bar306

bar306 Distinguished Poster

Might as well protect yourself so they won't have to come pick up the pieces. Apparently every convicted felon on parole or not on parole in MS has a firearm, a fact MS LE doesn't seem to be too concerned about. Hear something almost everyday about a crime being committed by a felon in possession.

tWillis and fordpkup like this.
  13. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Just curious as to why you think MS LE isn't concerned about felons in possession? To my way of thinking, most LE rank felon in possession as a precursor to violent crime and want them off the street.

righttoown, BasMstr and fordpkup like this.
  14. bar306

My opinion based on volume and frequency in news reports relative to firearms related crimes committed by criminals in illegal possession of firearm, many of whom are even repeat offenders. Something seriously amiss with this.

94LEVERFAN likes this.
  15. CajunBP

I see that point and agree, but LE isn't the ones releasing them, it is the courts and legislature. Heck, even obama is getting in on the act. Not nitpicking, but sometimes I think people believe LEOs have way more control than they actually do.

rigrat, BasMstr, Leadburner and 5 others like this.
  16. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Nail, struck squarely.

94LEVERFAN, rigrat, 95 taco and 5 others like this.
  17. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

Thank libturd judges for handing down light sentences!

94LEVERFAN, tWillis, maxhush and 2 others like this.
  18. bar306

Maybe LE is too broad and sensitive term to use, but who else would be charged with "checking" on released felons for firearm violations? Court officers...constables...sheriff...local PD ??? I realize LE may only accidently run into these people when they are not actually looking for a released felon, such as traffic violation...etc. So, who or what would be the agency which should be working to prevent this from occurring, especially since it is a big and serious problem that gets people killed. Most local LE officers in smaller communities know who these felons are and what they could be up to or capable of...news does get around a lot more than one would think. And yes, judges releasing them don't care and can't know anything and everything about released felons until they come back in front of his bench. Unfortunately, many times it's just too late and another innocent has a new address in the cemetery.

94LEVERFAN likes this.
  19. patchz

patchz Court Jester

DOC probation officers.

bar306 likes this.
  20. CajunBP

Bar,
    Everything is pretty compartmentalized. Probation and parole officers would in many cases be responsible for that if the subject is under either condition. Some felons have fourth waivers where LE can search without probable cause or warrant as a condition of release, but this will not apply to everyone. A felon can have paid his full debt to society and will have the same constitutional protections as we do and with every incarceration they get more educated. Maybe the way to correct this is a tough three-strikes law for the state and take it out of the court/prosecutor's discretion because it is in both party's interest to get a plea instead of fighting for the maximum sentence and they will settle for way below what is acceptable to you and I.

On the federal side, felon in possession is something just about everyone will pursue if they get a lead, particularly the ATF. That is those Guy's bread and butter. The Feds already have mandatory minimum sentence was for the same reasons I described above.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    BasMstr and bar306 like this.