Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to trade for a like new 7400 Remington 30-06 carbine with synthetic stocks. Blue book shows this gun is only worth around 400 dollars. I just installed a nice Nikon 50 mm scope on this gun. I figure this gun with scope is worth at least 500-550 trade value. I like this gun because it is short and in 98-100 % condition. Any opinions ?

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No opinions, good I did not trade. I was going to trade a complete AR-15 . I really don't need another deer gun,

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Well, there is a good reason those Remington autoloaders were called "jamamatics". I sure wouldn't want to depend on one. On the other hand, the cosmetic twin - the pump action rifles - are mechanical marvels that seldom have issues and are known for very respectable accuracy.

·
Registered
13,744 Posts
Not sure you could give me another gun from that family, I sure wouldn’t trade anything of value for one.
I had a very well cared for 243 one years ago. It never locked up consistently and was minute of barn accurate. Old man that dad bought it from had put maybe a box of ammo through it since it was new in the 70s.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have worked on 742s that were jamming but I don't remember ever getting a 7400 that was jamming. I was told that the 7400s were better than the 742s. And yes the 742s were unpredictable. When I was 18 I bought a new 742 in 30-06. Sometimes it would fail to feed and other times no problems. My hunting buddy bought a new Remington 700 BDL when I was around 22. That thing was so accurate, I had to have one so when I was about 23 I traded the 742 and boot for a new 700 BDL. That is when I started to be a serious deer hunter. Even with the bolt action I could get off a second shot if needed but I rarely needed a second shot. Once I bought a Leupold Vari x 111 3.5-10 scope with the Redfielld rings and base I had a very accurate deer killer. Although I own a variety of rifles and calibers now that I sometimes hunt with, I will never sell my 700, 270. I also have heard from some hunters that have shot 742s for years with no complaints.
One thing I discovered working on 742s is some that jammed had tiny burrs in the chamber when examining with a small light. I even bought a flexible cleaning rod and would cut some of the burrs off and do a thorough cleaning with a chamber wire brush. With a new magazine and heavy cleaning this would stop the jamming for a while at least. This was usually on heavily used 742s and usually it was in 30-06. Maybe this is a reason I am not a big fan of the 30-06 because of the problems I personally had 50 years ago with my 742. And because I was so happy with my 270 in rem 700. Really I don't think there is anything wrong with 30-06 calibers just that 308s will perform and do everything the 06 will do with less bruises on my shoulder, on whitetail deer.
Another thing that may have contributed to the jamming on my rifle is that I used WD-40 as a lubricant and rust preventative back then. While WD-40 is great for many things, I don't use it on semi-autos. I was later told that the WD-40 would later gum up after the gun had been stored or some months later.
Jamamatics, yes some are. But there are millions out in circulation.And I know of some deer that were killed while the hunter depended on the 742.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I still have (2) new in box 7400s, maybe 742s (not sure which) that have had all of 3 rounds fired from them. One is .270 the other is 30.06. Matching twins with wood stocks. I bought these many years ago and had them stored at my parents home and forgot about them until we were going through the house after they passed about 16 years ago. I have their uglier sibling models with synthetic stocks that I have fired lots and never had any issues. To me they are great reliable rifles if you keep them clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts