Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m really thinking about picking up an over and under. There are 2 different ones close by for around $600. Does anyone have any experience with the Yildiz or the Tristar over/unders?
Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger

Wood Gun barrel Office supplies Fashion accessory Everyday carry

·
Premium Member
15,393 Posts
BTW........ I am in the market for a semi-auto 28ga. Wanting a Mossberg SA-28, but none to be found these days. Maybe a Weathersby SA-08.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well, I work with Yildiz guns on a daily basis. Academy Sports is the sole importer of their shotguns in the US. Of the examples I've held, @SubGunFan is correct, they usually are stiff. This is a departure from the 12's, 20's, and even .410's in most cases. From time to time you get one of those that are rough and stiff. But, the 28 gauge models, I've yet to handle one that's loose out of the box within acceptable standards.

Now, TriStar guns... Typically regarding over/under shotguns their fit and finish and overall handling are not as good as Yildiz guns I've handled. Both are definitely budget/entry level shotguns but if it's a choice between the two I would still likely pick the Yildiz. Not because my work sells them, but as mentioned TriStart over/under shotguns typically tend to be a bit worse. This could be the exception of course.

As a whole, I think TriStar is fine as a Turkish shotgun company and some of their line up is quite nice, that's just the one area I'd say it differs. The Stoeger Condor in 28 Gauge would also be on my radar if interested in that type of gun.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
Sir I hate to inject here but you asked for opinions. I see, and have seen, a lot of different brands of shotguns put to the test of shooting tournaments.
When selecting a gun, you would need to give some thought to what you were going to do with them - shoot a very little but have an OU? Shoot a lot?
If you were just going to shoot a very few shells and have the gun sitting - either would be OK. If you are really going to put the gun to work - then you should look elsewhere.
Just IMO ---

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sir I hate to inject here but you asked for opinions. I see, and have seen, a lot of different brands of shotguns put to the test of shooting tournaments.
When selecting a gun, you would need to give some thought to what you were going to do with them - shoot a very little but have an OU? Shoot a lot?
If you were just going to shoot a very few shells and have the gun sitting - either would be OK. If you are really going to put the gun to work - then you should look elsewhere.
Just IMO ---
Good advice, brother. I’m looking at one for dove season. I have plenty of shotguns but everyone I hunt with runs an 870 in 12 or 20 and I kinda want something different. I was looking at an OU because it seems to make me think “Only 2 shots, make em count” instead of blasting away with my 870 magnum express. I was told to check out a Browning Cynergy (buy once/cry once) by an older guy that hunts with us.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Speaking of 28 gauge shotguns, Today I was talking to a customer who has a Darne SxS in 28 gauge. I recut the checkering on the lower half of the shotgun, which was a challenge, but he mentioned that he pheasant hunts with that shotgun, with 3 inch shells! That's right, a three inch magnum 28 gauge. I guessed that Fiochi makes that ammo, and he confirmed that they do.
Never say you don't learn something every day!

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts
I would love to have a Darne in 20 or 28. Mine is 16 ga.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think a better alternative to either the Yildiz or the Tristar is a used Miroku. Miroku makes the Citori and several other guns for Browning, and also makes some very high end over/unders that are well thought of in international clays competition.

The real benefit is price. If you get a Browning-labeled Miroku, it will be expensive. If you get a Miroku-labeled one, it will be in the $500-600 range you're thinking of and will be twice the gun of anything made in Turkey.

I have a Miroku 20ga O/U that is labeled Charles Daly. Light, strong, precision fit and finish. If you run across an older Charles Daly O/U, remember that they have been imported from lots of different manufacturers over the years, and some are not the equal of the Miroku's.

The only real negative is that you will really have to search for one in 28ga. I see 12ga versions all the time in online auctions, and occasionally 20ga, but 28 is pretty rare.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts