Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im lookn at the kimber and the xd for carry and its a tough choice i like them both but the kimber cost twice as much but the xd doesnt feel as good. Im open of any other suggestions on guns to aslong as its a 45 . I have a glock 22 but im not the biggest guy so unless im wearing a jacket its hard to hide. are there any reliability or accuracy problems with eather one of those guns?

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,344 Posts
I dunno if it the owners fault of poor maintance or what. But the last 2 kimbers i shot jammed alot. I wasnt impressed at all for the money they spent.

Ive got 2 40cal XDs. One is a Service model that has choked down a over 12k rds gettin closer to 15k with no problems at all.
Im a small fella too so i went with the xd sc in 40. Ive carried it every day for a few years now. Up until i got the Ruger LCR. Its a extra carry peice if the clothing doesnt permit me carring the sc. The sc has a few thousand thru it with no problems either. Rough guess would be 3-4k.

Theres my 2 pennys worth. :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Well, if we're strictly talking about .45, the XD is definitely a good gun for the money. The M&P's are good guns but another that is a personal favorite in the .45acp "easy to carry" arena is the Sig P245. Just some options to think about.
I'm not going to advocate any particular one but instead stick with the advise of get what feels best to you. Obviously none of these options are good for pocket carry and I think it's always good to have something that fits that niche as well, but then you're down to .22, .380, .38 and a very few 9mm's.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I believe that is a personal choice. You would probably need to handle and if possible shoot each one. That would give you the feel of each one. I have had an XD 40 and currently carry the Glock 22 but I am also a big guy so it doesn't bother me. One of the reasons that I chose the Glock model was because of the FTF of other models. Kimber does have a "break in period" of 500-1000 rounds. They are excellent weapons but they are also machined to extremely tight spec so the "break in period" is needed to loosen things up. What ever you chose just by comfortable with it and also make sure you chose a good holster, it makes a world of different.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a kimber pro carry II stainless. 45 cal, 4 in barrel with crimson trace laser on it. I carry it IWB. I have not had any problems concealing it. Not the first shooting problem. Shot it as fast as I could pull trigger with no problems. A very good gun, since I stake my life on it doing its job when needed.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
If your clothing allows a 1911 is a great gun for CC. an IWB with a good belt and an untucked shirt and they disappear. That is what i carry when i am not in business attire. In dress slacks and a shirt tucked in CC becomes more of a challenge. I have a supertuck for my 1911's and it works pretty good, takes a bit of adjusting to get it just right and even then it is a touch visable if you know where to look. I have gone to a ruger LCP w/ leather holster in my front right pocket for when dressed up. this works out good. I prefer to carry a 1911 but when the situation dictates i slip the 380 in the front pocket and am good to go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
where I bought my kimber new, the place gives a lifetime in-store warrenty on new and used firearms. That is Dad's Super Pawn in Gulfport.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
TheGreatGonzo said:
I'm a huge fan of my Sig P220 Carry SAS model. I don't feel the need for a double-stack magazine when I'm carrying my .45ACP.
Gonzo
I had a P220 Equinox Carry that I recently traded to get a Kimber (Clackamas-can you blame me?). The P220 was a bid wider than I liked versus the 1911, and I never adjusted to that dadgum DA/SA trigger. Trying to love the P239 now....

I have an XD 9mm SC, and still prefer the slim feel of the 1911. Might be a tad biased, however.

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you are torn between a kimber 1911 and a springer xd I say dont get either.

It is my understanding that kimber's CS is not that great and I'm wording that much nicer than the guys who wrote the reviews did, mostly because I have no experience with thier customer service. The SAXD is a nice gun but I would wait for Springfield to release the XDM in .45. Or you could get a springfield 1911 (best idea Ive had since 2nd breakfast)

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,344 Posts
I know a guy thats selling a sweet old school 1911.. for cheaper than you can get either of the above mentioned pistols for.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
one thing to consider is will you (or have you) train(ed) enough to develop muscle memory to sweep the safety off on a 1911 (or any pistol with a thumb safety for that matter). just going and putting 50 down the pipe once a month isnt what i mean. i mean practicing drawing/ sweeping the thumb safety off until it becomes second nature. by second nature i mean you sweep for the thumb safety even when drawing a pistol that doesnt have a thumb safety. like its second nature. that is the one reason i wont carry one with a thumb safety, as none of my carry weapons to date have had one. heard a couple stories of people getting killed because they thought they would remember to sweep the safety and didnt, rendering their weapon useless when they didnt need it to be useless...

just somethign to consider. the 1911s are dam fine weapons, and i will own one one day. just not for carry! :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I wouldn't let the thumb safety of a 1911 be a deciding factor, especially in the negative. In the modern "straight thumbs" grip, the strong hand thumb rides on top of the thumb safety, ensuring that it is off and cannot get bumped "on" during firing. It will need to be practiced of course, but the trigger on the 1911 is generally considered easier to learn and an advantage over most other designs, at least without modification, so there will be a learning curve with any choice and practice/familiarity will be needed. A lot of it can be accomplished in dry fire and dry handling.

I personally like the idea of a thumb safety, although my typical carry choice doesn't have one. If I could only find a single action gun with the same combination of weight, size, and power, I would trade in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My Kimber Custom Stainless II 1911 is also badazz......

But, if you are looking at a polymer, don't pass on the FN..... not as small as an XD compact/subcompact or Glock compacts, but the DA/SA trigger is perfect....as is ambidextrious decocker/safety.... available mags with 10, 14 or 15 rnds in 45acp... Hmmmm, talking myself into one in 45acp now.... have one in 40 s&w, and will have new one in 9mm in a couple days.....

I'll have the Kimber and both FN's at the meet and greet, come find me and shoot them all....... :0023: :0023:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well I have a Kimber and an XD45 service..
I've had zero problems with my Kimber, but it's had work done on it.
My XD at about the 400 round mark had a ftf, stood an unspent shell up in the chamber, but that's the only time.
Any mechanical device can fail and I would stay away from any 3" .45 in the 1911 platform(I'm lusting for an EMP).
Their such different weapons... I can say I'll never part with my Kimber..JMO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts