Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 has started off great. One week into the year and I've already picked up four. First is a Stevens 520 pump in 16 ga. These were made from 1907 to WWII. The barrel has been cut to 26" and a Herter's adjustable choke installed. I'm a sucker for 16 ga's. I've got half a dozen of them plus it was cheap.
[/url][/img]Next is a 1988 Winchester 94 AE, .30-30. All my Winchesters are old so I didn't have an angle-eject version. That problem is fixed now.
[/url][/img]Next is a 1990 Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. The metal on this one is 99% but the butt has some scratches and someone has put a coat of varnish on the wood. I'm going to strip it and refinish it. What got my attention was the grain in the butt. It's going to look nice after it's redone.
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img] Last is a Swedish Mauser. This is my first foreign military gun. It has all matching numbers except for the cleaning rod.
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]
If I keep this up I'm going to have to get another safe.

By the way ya'll need to stay away from pawn shops. They're dangerous places and there's nothing but junk in them!!! :lol:

· Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
28,042 Posts
Nice pawn shop finds. I really like the Stevens.

· Waffennarr
8,901 Posts
Nice Swede. I have NEVER seen a Swede with a matching cleaning rod; they were used to stack 3 rifles (hole through the bayo lug). I have to tell you, if you have one with barrel bands, buttplate, mag plate, ejector box, and all bolt parts matching- plus the wood (underside of upper handguard) - then you done real well!
PM sent

· Registered
5,000 Posts
Man. you must get ALL the deals in pawn shops. I was in Canton the other day and stopped in one. Small selection, but they had a GARAND. Price? Said it just came on the floored, he'd check. A couple phone calls later we had the (unpleasant) answer: $895...at least $200 - 300 high IMO.

Shame, metal was great with nice park job, wood very good, no dings. SA 1.5 range ,44 or '45 barrel. Don't know about bore...by then I had the price and had to hand her back. Pretty though...

· Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scharfschuetze said:
Nice Swede. I have NEVER seen a Swede with a matching cleaning rod; they were used to stack 3 rifles (hole through the bayo lug). I have to tell you, if you have one with barrel bands, buttplate, mag plate, ejector box, and all bolt parts matching- plus the wood (underside of upper handguard) - then you done real well!
PM sent
This is the first one of these I have looked at in detail. I don't know much about them. They've got the serial number stamped all over the place. All the numbers I have found match. This is where I have found it so far: above and below the wood line on the receiver, both barrel bands, all four pieces of the rear sight, ejector box, magazine box floor plate, bolt, bolt shroud, safety, firing pin, buttplate, stock and upper handguard. Is there anywhere else it sould be? The one negative I've found is that the brass disk is blank. I think the disk must have been missing and someone made a brass disk to fill in the hole.

· Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shoeshooter said:
Man. you must get ALL the deals in pawn shops. I was in Canton the other day and stopped in one. Small selection, but they had a GARAND. Price? Said it just came on the floored, he'd check. A couple phone calls later we had the (unpleasant) answer: $895...at least $200 - 300 high IMO.
A large majority of the guns in the pawn shops are priced to high. There are some pawn shops that I don't waste my time going in. There are five or six that I go to at least once or twice a week. You have to be persistent. Most of them put new stuff out each day.

· Waffennarr
8,901 Posts
Man, you've got it all covered. I can only speculate as to why someone would remove the disk from the stock, and put in a blank one. I'd offer to gauge it for you but am a good distance from Brandon. I have a field gauge; Doug Bowser has them all. How does the bore look? And although there is commercial ammo available, the Swede surplus (available from Samco in Miami, maybe others) is excellent. I've used it to win matches several times. The Swede is a fine piece of firearms engineering, and an interesting field for collecting. Congrats!

· Waffennarr
8,901 Posts
shoeshooter said:

Shame, metal was great with nice park job, wood very good, no dings. SA 1.5 range ,44 or '45 barrel. Don't know about bore...by then I had the price and had to hand her back. Pretty though...
If you have access to or can use someone's gauges to check chamber and muzzle, and it comes out good, that is a fair market price. Unless you go to CMP and gauge and handpick a Garand yourself, assuming either you know what you are doing or have D. Bowser with you to confirm, that is the about as good as you can get on the "open market". I would say if it is in good condition that is a fair market price. If it did gauge well and check out well, I would try to offer say $700 and do some haggling, but short of going to Anniston and hoping to find a nice one, that is within reason...again stressing if you are not going to make the drive and hand-pick one at CMP-which might save you $200 off what you have there, IF it is in good condition based on the criteria I've mentioned-if you don't spend the night for the trip to CMP, eat out a lot, and count the gas money you have spent!
If you just order one from CMP it is literally luck of the draw.
So exactly where is this pawn shop... ;)

· Site Member
572 Posts
Here's a pawn shop buying tip, never pay sticker for anything. Unless it's already marked down a bunch and it's close to cost (it happens but not often), make an offer and work out a deal. Lots of people already know this, but I know there are some that are afraid to try to haggle. Can't hurt to ask...

· Registered
5,000 Posts
It would require some further inspection for that price. IF the chamber & muzzle gauged well, if the stock was GI, and all the other details were right it would be worth $700 - $800...to me. It was in nice cosmetic condition, and it's WWII vintage, my Springfield is '50's vintage.

However I am going to CMP in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to hang on to my money for now. :)

22lrfan, sorry for the detour. Your finds are what inspired me to go "Pawn Shopping" again. Like I said, I think YOU get great deals on some very nice firearms. Love the Mauser. Keep sharing them, I'll stay motivated. :thumbup:

· Waffennarr
8,901 Posts
And on the theme of Pawn Shop Pickin': I hope Doug will chime in. He finds the damndest things, like a German Reichspost marked K98k in a barrel of rifles marked "Jap rifles $50" (or around that price). He is one of the luckiest guys I know for trolling the pawn shops. He recognized the 870 trap model at a local pawn shop a couple of years ago. It had been painted by Bubba, looked like hell, and they only wanted I think $140 for it. I passed; Doug came back a few days later, recognized what it was and snapped it up. It's worth I think over $600 -

· Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what makes trolling the pawn shops so much fun, you never know what your're going to find. I keep a list of guns I've found but I'm not sure if I want or can't afford at the time. I've been talking with someone for several months about a Garand. It's not all correct but it is a 1940 Springfield manufacture. My current oldest one is a '42. I was telling someone Friday about my new Swedish Mauser. He pulled out a 1906 Carl Gustaff with all matching numbers and said he would make me a deal on it. It looks like I might be starting a Swedish Mauser collection. Now I just need to win the lottery. :blol:

· Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joe S. said:
I want a 35 rem sooooooo bad!!!
All it takes is cash and you can have one. :lol: I like 35's. They are cheap to shoot. You can load .38/.357 bullets for plinking. I've currently got one automatic, four pumps and two lever-actions in .35 Rem. I'll let you know next time I find one ..... if I don't buy it!!! :rotflmao:

· Registered
5,372 Posts
The 1920 manufactured Swedish Model 1896 rifles are really rare. I have only seen one of them in my lifetime. I wrote a book on the Swedish Military Rifles. It is available. PM me if you are interested.

The barrel channel is also serial numbered as well as the back of the magazine box. I have a 1908 CG 1896 that matches all the way. How many crowns are stamped in the wood behind the trigger guard? Are there ant crowns with Initials. The initials indicate the arms station that did a complete refit including a new barrel.

Doug

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.