Pawn Shop Rescue

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by makoshark75, May 14, 2018.

1. makoshark75

makoshark75 Distinguished Poster

I recently stumbled upon a Colt Commander Lightweight in a pawn shop recently that - as you can imagine - was too good of a deal to pass up. It had the wrong barrel (sticking out past it's snout) and some unsightly grips. It also had some honest wear, but still had Colt stamped on the slide and appeared to be a 70's series (no firing pin safety). After purchasing the gun and bringing it home, I researched the serial number on Colt's website and discovered it was much older than I had guessed. This Commander LW was manufactured in 1953.

After scouring ebay and gunbroker for a suitable barrel, I found the appropriate 4.25 inch barrel with "Colt 45 Auto" stamped on the hood and ordered it from a dealer in Massachusetts. I also scored some nice Rosewood double diamond grip panels to complete this simple, low-budget restoration. Here are the before, during and after photos....

2. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

You are either bad or good or very lucky. Bad that we did not find it. Congratulations.:):)

3. HotRod61

HotRod61 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Great find and restore work. Looks good for it’s age.

4. Trashy

Trashy Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

5. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Nice score. Impressive. Congratulations on your find.

6. Henry Bowman

Henry Bowman Distinguished Poster

The CC's have always been my favorite sized 1911's. A great find and thanks for putting it back to proper specs. She now looks like a well worn friend. Hope you do get many years out of this classic.

7. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

Those early Commanders were all made using "Coltalloy" aluminum alloy frames... and concurrently offered from 1950 until 1969 in 9mm Para, .45 ACP, and .38 Super calibers. Oddly, a .30 Luger/7.65mm Parabellum offering is also reported.

In 1970, Colt introduced their steel frame Commander models, which were rollmarked "Combat Commander". At the same time the aluminum alloy frame Commanders were renamed "Lightweight Commander".

None were ever rollmarked as "Series 70"... nor did any of the Commander models ever have Colt's "Colt Accurizer" finger collet barrel bushing.

Mk. IV/Series 80 marked Commanders did incorporate Colt's firing pin safety system.

Colt's Commander models were historically significant on two (2) points... starting with the first one commercially produced and sold in 1950*...
    • It is Colt’s first production pistol originally chambered in the 9mm Parabellum caliber.
    • It is the first “major” production of a large handgun made with an aluminum alloy frame.
    *(Massad Ayoob, in his 2010 book, "Massad Ayoob's Greatest Handguns of the World", pp. 33–44; Gun Digest Books)

8. Jeff700

Jeff700 Distinguished Poster

North MS
    Nice find!!! Looks good!

9. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

Nice pistol!!

J.B.

makoshark75 and Cliff731 like this.
  10. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

purty purple pony it is.

@ratbite funny we just talked about cc's today!

makoshark75 likes this.
  11. deadhead

deadhead Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Nothing like a pretty girl in a new dress!!!!

12. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus