Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Rational Anarchist
15,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since last Thanksgiving we found out that my daughter has allergies to nuts, soy, and a few other things. This caused me to look for a way to cook a Turkey without injecting it with the soy bean oil based products by Zateran’s & Tony Chachere's. I’d have made a butter based mixture but the doctor has her off dairy, temporarily.

So, this is what I did:

1. Brined this 14lbs bird overnight. (Brine was 1 1/2 cup of salt, juice from all of the satsumas we had & a couple of cans of pineapple juice, & enough water to cover the bird in a cooler)
  2. Cut out the spine, pulled out the breast bone, died with a paper towel & covered it in Zatarans. (Bottom then top.)
  3. Cooked on 200° for a couple of hours. (Basting it by drizzling olive oil on it several times during the cook time)
  4. Turned it up to 250°
  5. After it reached about 155° tuned it up to 300° until it reached 165° on instant read thermometer.
Food Ingredient Bottle Natural foods Alcoholic beverage
Pattern Electric blue Rock Shadow Fur
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Baked goods
Food Ingredient Gesture Cuisine Dish

Food Ingredient Animal product Recipe Staple food

^light meat
Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Produce

^ dark

· Registered
2,754 Posts
As I read before I saw the pictures I was thinking spatchcock it. Looks like great minds think alike. I did a chicken like that a few years back and never knew fully cooked chicken breast could be so juicy.

My turkey was pre-brined and got its first rub down at 12:00 today it’s fixing to get its second then a final seasoning in the morning. Shooting for a noon bird so I’ll be firing the smoker at 5:00.

· Super Moderator
12,987 Posts
We've done a spatchcocked turkey for the last 3 years, but always in the oven. Comes out great, and plenty juicy. We cook it on a rack over a pan of vegetables, like carrots, brussel sprouts, red potatoes, etc., letting the turkey juices drip down onto and flavor the vegetables.

No big crowd this years, just me, the wife and grandson. So we picked up a couple packs of turkey drumsticks to throw on the smoker. No whole bird for us this year.

· Registered
2,754 Posts
We've done a spatchcocked turkey for the last 3 years, but always in the oven. Comes out great, and plenty juicy. We cook it on a rack over a pan of vegetables, like carrots, brussel sprouts, red potatoes, etc., letting the turkey juices drip down onto and flavor the vegetables.

No big crowd this years, just me, the wife and grandson. So we picked up a couple packs of turkey drumsticks to throw on the smoker. No whole bird for us this year.
Had me until brussel sprouts. 🤢 The wife keeps trying to trick me into liking it. That just ain’t happening.

· Deplorable Curmudgeon
17,949 Posts
I use a 50/50 mixture of creole zatatans and Mckormick grill ‘mates seasonings iand add couple tablespoons accent (msg) a bowl of beef broth then inject that bird every where the night before after a 12 hour brine

just a hint
Roll out 2- 1 pound chubs of sausage. Add cheese, shallots and diced pepperoni then roll it all up, put that on the top grill for about an hour. That gives you something to munch on while cooking your bird

· Premium Member
11,352 Posts
If in kitchen: I rub down: under skin & over whole bird: inside/out, with my selection of herbs/spices. Sit at least 3-4 hrs. @ about 10-12 pm. UNSALTED butter in every area, then into roast pan(not disposable),breast up @ 450deg for approximately 30-40 min, uncovered. Lower to 275,( flip breast down optional), cook overnight. just did this for church luncheon on Sunday, been doing for # years.
P.S. I used almond oil for Rub.& mixed some of seasonings in oil & poured into crevices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts