Pigs gettin' closer

Discussion in 'North Mississippi' started by GunnyGene, Jan 13, 2016.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Won't be long now, till I'll have to deal with wild pigs :mad:. Folks have been seeing them along the Bartahachie river lately, which is about 5 miles from me. One of my neighbors even bagged one (about 300lbs) closer last fall just off Flower Farm road about 2 miles away.

2. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

So far I have been lucky here in the south, haven't seen any yet.

3. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I bet you can get a lot of volunteers on here to help you with the problem.

4. GunnyGene

That's why I posted this. I figure phillipd and a couple others would be interested. If they do start to show up on my land in the next year or 2, I'll update. :)

5. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Wish I was physically able to join in. :(

6. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Gunny we like pig just let us know!!!!! We'll be glad to split the meat with you!!!

Jarhead5811, fordpkup and sigpro2022 like this.
  7. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

I have yet to even see a pig in MS. Of course in Fl they were everywhere and I hunted them a lot. In my traipsing around in the deer woods here I've only run across one set of identifiable hog tracks - and that was one old boar that I really wanted to see. It was the widest set of boar hooves I've ever seen.

8. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Over around Columbia there are quite a few buddy hunts them all the time.

9. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

People want to complain about them all the time, until you volunteer to come shoot some. Then they act like the dang hogs are their prize posessions

10. Leadburner

Leadburner Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I'd be down for a road trip to make new acquaintances & a chance to put some hot lead in a oinker.:D

[​IMG]

11. Gunny just let me know when you need some help down that way. I am in the Tupelo area all of the time on the family place working/hunting. I will hunt on the halves....you get all of the pork you want, and I get rid of your piggy problem. Keep us posted.....
    CB

12. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    They're all around us Gunny. I know folks that are killing them fast as they can in Clay, Oktibbeha, and Noxubee counties. Good friend of mine has a good bit of family land near the waterway in Amory and he's overrun with them. I think the rivers are the only thing keeping them out of Lowndes.

13. GunnyGene

I don't think the rivers will stop them. Pigs are pretty good swimmers. Need more gators. ;)

14. LOL...That reminds me, remember the pig i posted a picture of a few mths ago?

I did not shoot him because i thought he was a pet.
    turns out he belonged to a neighbor, he was a pet, and has not been seen since

I would be down for some meat, I'll split with you gunny

would be nice to get one, have a MSGO pit bbq

15. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

A man I know shot a wolf and threw it in his truck and ran to the local newspaper and had his and the wolfs picture taken. Paper comes out and mans neighbor comes over really pizzed. His kids found out about their dead dog in the paper. It was an Alaskin Husky.

16. BasMstr

Well, in Mississippi, if an animal comes on your property and makes a nuisance of itself, you have the legal right to destroy said animal. Had a pig come in the yard on Christmas day a few years ago. After chasing him off the second time, I told everybody "third time's the charm" -- he musta heard, cause he didn't come back. :(

17. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

Unless it is one of those damn deer dogs. Those things have more "rights" than people do. MS law is on the side of the deer dog owner. About the only thing you can legally do is hold the dogs for the law.

18. BasMstr

Unless it is one of those damn deer dogs. Those things have more "rights" than people do. MS law is on the side of the deer dog owner. About the only thing you can legally do is hold the dogs for the law.

Actually, the law dogs states "If a person with malice shall intentionally torture, mutilate, maim, burn, starve or disfigure any domesticated dog or cat, then he or she shall be guilty of the offense of aggravated cruelty to a dog or cat".
    These are some of the exclusions that would apply to the general public:
    • (i) Defending against physical or economic injury being threatened or caused by a dog or cat;
    • (ii) Injuring or killing an unconfined dog or cat on the property of the person, if the dog or cat is believed to constitute a threat of physical injury or damage to the person’s domesticated animal;
    • (iii) Protecting livestock from trespassing dogs or cats that are chasing or killing them;
    Of course, shooting somebody's hunting dog that ran by your stand would get you in hot water. One of the reasons it took so long for the law to get passed was a lot of people wanted these particular exclusions, along with several others.

19. Kenneth

Kenneth Full Poster

Got a few friends with dogs looking for private land to hunt. They are located in and around Shannon. I can gladly contact them and set up something. Always clean up and leave things as they were minus the hogs unless someone speaks for the meat.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016