Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police: 2 Kansas Sheriff's Deputies Killed In Confrontation With Inmate

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (CBS/AP) — A second sheriff’s deputy died early Saturday from injuries suffered when an inmate who was being transported in Kansas City overpowered two officers and may have used one of their guns to shoot them.

Kansas City, Kansas, police confirmed on their Facebook page that Deputy Theresa King, 44, died just after midnight following the shooting on Friday. Officer Patrick Rohrer, 35, died earlier.

Investigators said the inmate may have grabbed a weapon from one of the deputies during a struggle after he got out of a van in a gated area near the Wyandotte County Courthouse late Friday morning.

“It is very possible that with their own firearm, they were both shot,” Wyandotte County sheriff’s Maj. Kelli Bailiff said during a news conference Friday at the University of Kansas Hospital.

###

Prayers for the families.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why wasn't the inmate in handcuffs during transport?
Don't know, especially since the inmate ("suspect," innocent until proven guilty in a court of law) was a twice-accused murder suspect … now four murders.

Family of metro murder victim says suspect in WyCo deputy shooting could have been stopped

"Just two months ago, Dupree stood with Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker to announce Fielder was yet again charged with murder -- this time in the death of Rosemarie Harmon, who was shot dead in 2017.

Kent and Ginger Ewonus said Fielder isn't the only person to blame for Harmon’s murder or the shooting of the two Wyandotte County deputies.

“I blame the juries and I blame the judge in the trial who would not let evidence in that would have overwhelmingly convicted him," Kent Ewonus said. "I think I am disgusted with a system that would allow such an evil individual to be out on the streets."​

I'll bet he's handcuffed and heavily guarded in that hospital bed now though ...

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,282 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,213 Posts
You LEOs speak up? But, friend who was SWAT in NOLA said hr always puts cuffs on tight enough to cut, every since officer had throat cut.
Biggest aftermath was prisoner still breathing .
JUST heard update that officers followed protocols following interm investigation.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Community mourns two Wyandotte County deputies killed in shooting

"[Inmate] Fielder was also struck in the shooting, sources say he was hit five times but is expected to live." o_O

During a news conference on Saturday morning, authorities clarified a few details about circumstances surrounding the shooting. Wyandotte County Lieutenant Kelli Bailiff said the deputies were following proper procedures when the shooting happened. Kansas City, Kan., Police Terry Zeigler said that the shooting happened as the deputies and inmate were leaving court and going back to jail.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
If he was on trial they may not have had him in cuffs in the courtroom but he should have been cuffed as soon as he walked out. I don't know what exactly happened but complacency kills.

J.B.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If he was on trial they may not have had him in cuffs in the courtroom but he should have been cuffed as soon as he walked out. I don't know what exactly happened but complacency kills.

J.B.
It killed two here. I'll bet there's a detailed review of procedures/protocol going on right now too.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
I didn't see where it said he wasn't in cuffs?
I just assumed he wasn't. It would be quite difficult for a properly restrained person to get the drop on two cops, disarm one, and beat them both in a gun fight while cuffed. Its possible, I suppose. I just didn't figure this guy was Jason Borne.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,282 Posts
I just assumed he wasn't. It would be quite difficult for a properly restrained person to get the drop on two cops, disarm one, and beat them both in a gun fight while cuffed. Its possible, I suppose. I just didn't figure this guy was Jason Borne.
I would think he would have been cuffed, but could have been cuffed in front which would make it little easier to fight someone. Don’t know.

·
Premium Member
20,397 Posts
Prayers for the family.

Reactions: 7557

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now the perp will be facing 3 or 4 murder charges, incl. the murders of 2 LEOs and attempted escape from custody.

Let's hope that he gets a different (more qualified) judge and better county prosecutor this time.

Or, maybe he won't recover from his 5 wounds … :hmm:

JMO. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I just re-watched the video of the Ewonus parents' interview (their daughter was murdered by the perp in 2015, but 2 hung trial juries, so no conviction). That would have been murder #1.

The Ewonus mother said the perp (Fieldler) was shackled during the transfer when he murdered the two deputies. Those would be murders #3 and #4. He was in court there for (alleged) murder #2.

Maybe Fieldler is Jason Borne-like … but I doubt it.

Probably just complacency and opportunity.

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
I won't speculate on their transfer procedures, because I know nothing other than what the news said, which my personal experience has shown me that they get almost nothing right, which is the reason savvy agencies give them just enough information to say they spoke to them Cuffs are easy to pick, who knows what happened. I also know there are guys out there that will snap cuffs without taped wrists, one of whom is in my office. When you come across a determined adversary there is always a way to lose....or at least that is how I view it.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Any time our inmates at FSP left just their cell they were strip searched and in hand cuffs, but that was maximum security. Open pop camps they are in a big barracks type room, all together. (random searches only/very lax)
In transport, shackles were added, and a waist chain/black box combo that held the cuffs to the waist, simultaneously covering the key holes in the cuffs. The tail of the waist chain was padlocked to the back.

The whole debate of this conversation would depend on where this happened. During transport, or if they unrestrained him, at a court house for some dumb reason. Complacency kills, and one of the ones stat stuck with me was "SECURITY IS NOT CONVENIENT."

Corrections workers are severely under trained in my opinion. One or two firearms requals a year with minimal round count, and the important one, (since no guns actually allowed inside) virtually no hand to hand combat training/re qual etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts