Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are yalls thoughts on building a polymer 80? I’ve seen some have difficulties with reliability. Does anyone have experience with them?

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
what are yalls thoughts on building a polymer 80? I’ve seen some have difficulties with reliability. Does anyone have experience with them?
Oh brownells has a good deal going on a p80 lower and their slide with RMR cut and window over the barrel. Like $275~

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
casting plastic was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I tried making some molds and cast some marble size pieces, man it went bad. might have been the 2 part resin I bought, but everything that could go wrong did. air bubbles ,over mixing, and poor mixing. I had a sticky gummy mess, then the next try my resin hardened in the mix cup before I could pour it.

I say all that just to say it might not be as easy as it sounds. when we investment cast at work, we have a pressurized and heated wax pot (toy custom parts makers use the same but with plastic) . we also have a vacuum chamber/casting table to help get the bubbles out of our vestment and draw the liquid metal into the mold when we pour.

·
Premium Member
14,313 Posts
casting plastic was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I tried making some molds and cast some marble size pieces, man it went bad. might have been the 2 part resin I bought, but everything that could go wrong did. air bubbles ,over mixing, and poor mixing. I had a sticky gummy mess, then the next try my resin hardened in the mix cup before I could pour it.

I say all that just to say it might not be as easy as it sounds. when we investment cast at work, we have a pressurized and heated wax pot (toy custom parts makers use the same but with plastic) . we also have a vacuum chamber/casting table to help get the bubbles out of our vestment and draw the liquid metal into the mold when we pour.
I know the folks that produce this
Freedom-15 100% AR-15 Lower Mold Kit, ARCast Resin & Pre-Bent Braces
They spent a lot of time on it and the brace within. I’ve seen a few poured.....and for what my opinion is worth,the finished product looked and felt beefy, but really light. I have a kit,but have not used it.
I’ve seen a well used lower of theirs as well. It looked like absolute hell but was whole.

·
Blessed are the peacemakers
1,294 Posts
I like my Poly 80, everything is Glock except for the disconector and frame.

I had a slight issue of not going into battery 100% of the time but I just had to reinstall the takedown detent spring as it was dragging on the recoil spring.

It was very simple to assemble (I’ve never been inside a Glock before building this one, and I’ve hardly shot them either) and I milked mine with a Dewalt hand drill and no vice (wouldn’t recommend that)
BD24CFA8-4492-4FB8-92B9-8766849F49EF.jpeg

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I built 2 P80's back around the beginning of the year. Did them with a drill and a dremel tool on my vice. Built a 19 for my brother in law with a swenson slide and barrel and a lonewolf completion kit. Then built a 17 on a lonewolf slide with a lonewolf completion kit. They were very easy to do, and my 17 took a mag or two "break in" before it started cycling reliably. They are definitely a cool project, and shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours to get together.

Now my gripes.- It's NOT a way to build a glock cheaper than you can buy one. Even buying the cheap Swenson slides from Midway doesn't come out cheaper than buying a factory glock. But if you like having ownership of your own build it's cool. It does not fit glock holsters. There are a few makers who have P80 specific holsters, but they are few and far between.

Bottom line, it's a cool project, and a way to make something your own.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts