Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Polymer AR - Shoot it or not?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Big Bore Shooter
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shoot it or don't shoot it.

Just finished up my first Polymer AR build and would like to know; To shoot or not?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Do they still make these? I have a Plum Crazy that's been lurking in a back corner of my safe for nearly ten years. I did shoot it for 100 or so rounds way back when with no ill effects. Been thinking about putting an upper on it and cashing in on the current panic buying.

·
Rational Anarchist
14,288 Posts
I traded away my polymer lower ARs, but if I still had them I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot them. I kinda wish I’d kept one and put a dedicated .22LR upper on it. Being noticeably lighter would be excellent in that role, I believe.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was very interested in these when they first came out and was really thinking of buying. My good friend made the jump before me. So we sat down in his garage and built the lower and put the rifle together. He was super excited to shoot it, it was his first AR. We went into his house to get ready to go to the range and he leaned the AR on the couch. His 10 Week old puppy lightly brushed against it and it fell to the carpet floor. Snap! The break was right accross the rear take-down pin. That was enough for me to pass on them. But i have seen MANY improvements on them, i may try one.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have thought about them for the ease of finishing them from an 80%, I am not sure if I would trust it in a critical role though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I’ve had good luck with ep lowers and p80 lowers. I don’t just abuse them but do bang around on the 4wheeler and never had a problem. But they also we just built for fun so they aren’t my go to gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
552 Posts
I’ve had good luck with ep lowers and p80 lowers. I don’t just abuse them but do bang around on the 4wheeler and never had a problem. But they also we just built for fun so they aren’t my go to gun.

Also forgot to add I’ve had terrible luck with plum crazy and the new frontier lowers in the past with cracking but never with the other lowers mentioned.

·
I love the smell of blackpowder in the morning!
605 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts