Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I has to go to Camp Shelby last week and took the time on the way back to hit 7-8 pawn shops. I knew of a National Postal Meter M1 carbine that was coming out of pawn but found out it was really rough. It wasn't worth messing with. When leaving one I spotted what looked like a M1A in the back. He said it was a Polytech and would be available soon. I didn't get a chance to look at it. Price will probably be around $1k. Does anyone have any experience with the Polytech?

Reactions: Sancho Panza

·
Premium Member
13,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didn't get any responses but I've been doing a lot of reading on the Polytech's. There's a lot of good and bad opinions of them out there. I finally got a chance to get back to the shop and have a look at it today. It looked good and everything checked out on it. The price was dropped several hundred to a point that it was worth taking a gamble on it. I got it home and shot a few rounds through it and the sights were dead on. All I need to do now is track down a no-go gauge to check the headspace.

Polytech M14 a.JPG

Polytech M14 b.JPG

Polytech M14 c.JPG

Polytech M14 e.JPG

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
A friend of mine that recently passed owned one. It was a helluva shooter. The fake flash hider always disturbed me, but that was my only complaint. Thankfully his guns were meant for his grandkids, so it won't be going to an unappreciative home.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
It was sighted in with MEM 7.62 147gr a couple of months ago. Great gun it functioned 100% when I took it to the range for you know who you got good one.

·
Premium Member
13,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. He told me someone went through it and checked it out but didn't say who. The main concern I read about on them is headspace. Did you check it?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've got one that I bought from my uncle several years ago. He had it sent to AZ to have some work done to it- had match sights put on it (front sight was also shaved and painted), had it blueprinted, and replaced the bolt with a stainless TRW bolt. No problems with headspace, and I've heard a lot of that Chinese steel is superior over some of the domestic stuff?? It's a tack-driver when sighted in!

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
A friend on another forum has one he got early last year, headspace was way out of whack thanks to a soft bolt. He tested the hardness of it and it apparently was never heat treated. He ended up buying a us gi bolt somewhere and fixed it.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
... are most of the parts USGI?

Reactions: 94LEVERFAN

·
Premium Member
13,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: 94LEVERFAN

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Milled receiver, chrome lined barrel. My recollection is some were said to have soft bolts, but you can have a replacement US milsurp bolt fitted (there are folks that specialize in that). They haven't been imported in a long time. At some point the same collectiblity that hit the rest of the Chinese imports (Makarovs and AKs) should kick in on them I would think.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Milled receiver, chrome lined barrel. My recollection is some were said to have soft bolts, but you can have a replacement US milsurp bolt fitted (there are folks that specialize in that). They haven't been imported in a long time. At some point the same collectiblity that hit the rest of the Chinese imports (Makarovs and AKs) should kick in on them I would think.
I have a new in the box M14s and an Usgi TRW bolt that is going to warbirds to have the bolt fitted as they are NOT drop in.

WARBIRDS Rifle Shop services

·
μολὼν λαβέ
229 Posts
Nothing wrong with cast parts if done right..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts