Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my Remington 700 Varmint .308 and doing a poor mans build. Well mainly just trying to make it more accurate and look more appealing.
I bought:
HS Precision stock
Barrel threaded for my suppressor
Vortex Viper HST 4-16X44 scope
Base and rings

Looking for TRIGGER recommendations????
Timey, jewel, rifle basics, ect.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Cant go wrong with Timney C.E. or Jewel
I would add in another you didnt list, Trigger Tech, I have one in my Precision 308AR and its the best trigger Ive ever felt in an AR.
A friend of mine that builds Long Range Precision rifles on Remington or Savage actions uses either the Trigger Tech or the Timney C.E. in his builds. Trigger Tech uses a frictionless system that allows for as true of a zero creep as one can get. Check them out TriggerTech

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Sounds like the same general idea I have for my varmint 308, except mine is still in the budgeting/ time phase. Most of my time and funds go to milsurps and highpower shooting.
Sorry, can't help with trigger recommendations yet.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Jewel for sure.
:yeah:

The other triggers are good. But if buying a jewel you will always be able to resell it with minimal loss should you need to get rid of it. Keep it for 10 years and you'll make money. My experience with jewel is they have great service. If have a problem they will walk you through it on the phone. Or, send it in and they will fix it at no charge except postage. No BS excessive handing charge hidden as postage.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
I'm taking my Remington 700 Varmint .308 and doing a poor mans build. Well mainly just trying to make it more accurate and look more appealing.
I bought:
HS Precision stock
Barrel threaded for my suppressor
Vortex Viper HST 4-16X44 scope uhh
Base and rings

Looking for TRIGGER recommendations????
Timey, jewel, rifle basics, ect.
That HS Precision stock should be a big help assuming it was not previously bedded.

When I've put them on hunting rifles, my groups typically decrease by 25%-50% unless there was a severe stock problem before...like warped and touching...then it will be even more. Helped a friend with a 25-06 700 with a warped wood stock...changed out stock and groups went from almost 4 moa to 1.0 moa. Tweaked his hand load and now it shots .75 moa with a nosler BT very consistently.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I have a Remington Varmint 700 that I bought 7 years ago in 7mm-08 and a 26 inch barrel. I have never shot it. It has a laminated stock. But I have a Mcmillin stock that a man gave me that I want to try on something.

Reactions: fastarrow

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Remington Varmint 700 that I bought 7 years ago in 7mm-08 and a 26 inch barrel. I have never shot it. It has a laminated stock. But I have a Mcmillin stock that a man gave me that I want to try on something.
I like the heavier profile of the Varmint barrel. It's not as heavy as the Sendero profile. But more meat than the standard taper.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gun Smith called and said my barrel has been threaded. He said the rocktite should be here tomorrow. That's what he's using to lock my suppressor adapter on my barrel. Hope to have it up and shooting this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Gun Smith called and said my barrel has been threaded. He said the rocktite should be here tomorrow. That's what he's using to lock my suppressor adapter on my barrel. Hope to have it up and shooting this weekend.

FA, I would be weary of using a QD adapter / suppressor combo on a precision / long range rifle. I've got a handful of them & none are consistent on any of six rifles that I tried them on. The two DT suppressor shoot well on them, even then four of them prefer a certain can while two don't care. If I would have known this when I started buying cans I would not own a QD can now. Had to buy a few AR's to have something to put them on. LOL.

Good luck with the build. There is nothing like a custom bolt gun IMHO.

LB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts