Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Poor, Poor Nagant

5K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  afblackwell 
#1 ·
This fits into the WTH were they thinking category. @wllmkttrll needs one of them for sure.

Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

See less See more
#4 ·
Is that a Thompson compensator on it?

Reactions: rc
#11 ·
Well looks like they were trying to make an "Obrez" of sorts. More for the "fun" factor than anything although I've shot a few things like this and "Fun" is not a word I'd use to describe it. I don't mind sporterizing or modernizing mil-surp rifles when done tastefully or if it's the only way to salvage an otherwise busted weapon.

This on the other hand... if it was done recently, I'd have to ask why. Mosin's aren't the ultra cheap super available rifle they once were and the tax stamps involved on this would put it into such a territory that makes no sense. I'd bet this was done a long time ago though.

Coolest Mosin pistol I've ever seen was from the YouTube channel IV8888, they named it Stumpy. Sometimes referred to as The Ugly Mosin.

#12 ·
Well looks like they were trying to make an "Obrez" of sorts. More for the "fun" factor than anything although I've shot a few things like this and "Fun" is not a word I'd use to describe it. I don't mind sporterizing or modernizing mil-surp rifles when done tastefully or if it's the only way to salvage an otherwise busted weapon.

This on the other hand... if it was done recently, I'd have to ask why. Mosin's aren't the ultra cheap super available rifle they once were and the tax stamps involved on this would put it into such a territory that makes no sense. I'd bet this was done a long time ago though.

Coolest Mosin pistol I've ever seen was from the YouTube channel IV8888, they named it Stumpy. Sometimes referred to as The Ugly Mosin.

Not gonna lie that’s awesome! Only thing change would be a left side folding stock and bend the bolt knob down.

#27 ·
For decades these Mosins were imported into the U.S. & most folks thought they were junk & priced accordingly.
Many bought these with the intention of converting them to something useful to their needs.
The rifles were cheap enough!
It is the right of the owner to alter his property as he sees fit.
It is these actions that elevate the value of the unaltered ones.
As a survivalist, these make sense & are adaptable for different needs.
To others like ourselves (collectors), these mods are blasphemic to our hobby.
Then, there are those with too much spare time & too many parts lying about the shop....................

#28 ·
For $70 to $150 - like they were going for years ago - they were a great value in a rifle. For the (many) hundreds they go for now... not so much. I own an M44 that belonged to my deceased son so it's not going anywhere, but for a quality, accurate and safe milsurp I'm a Mauser man all the way. 03 Springfields and 1917s are great, too.

The (formerly) cheap Russians - like the Mosins and SKSs - were great as semi-disposable swamp guns. I'd take them pig hunting in salt and brackish water marshes on the Coast where I didn't have to worry about rust freckles at the end of the day from errant splashes. Now, if I were still hunting the marshes, I'd probably be inclined to use a Mossberg 12 Ga. or one of my cheap(er) Mausers.

Best
Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.