close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Possibility of Miss. auto insurance increase

Discussion in 'Press Talk' started by sand_man, Apr 21, 2016.

1. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

2. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Well why not raise them, they already are raking us over the coals on cost as it is. Some times I think it would be easier to drive without insurance and just pay the ticket if caught.

maxhush and MrGoodtime like this.

3. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    Ah yes, yet another example of insurance companies trying to force legislation (if you read the article). I haven't believed that since the "uninsured motorist" scam they pulled decades ago in all the states. They ran campaigns essentially telling everyone how insurance rates would drop radically if the states just passed required insurance laws. The states did. Rates didn't drop. Now the highest portion of the last bill I looked at was "uninsured motorist". But wait, they said if those laws passed there virtually wouldn't be any more uninsured motorists and no need to charge the insurance holding motorists for them any more. And yet, there it still is and people caught driving without insurance seem to be given a pass, with a minimal penalty and a fine, as long as they go buy some right away. Some fine revenue for the state/locality, more revenue for the insurance companies, and the law abiding insured motorists are once again left holding the bag with the bill and higher insurance premiums. Yet another government and large corporation scam partnership.

4. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Yeah with insurance rates what they are and what they want them to be their will be allot more uninsured motorist on the road.

fordpkup likes this.
  5. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

but, but but the goverments here to help

6. maxhush

NW MS
    Fixed it for ya! :D

7. mascott

yeah, that is all too true!!!

8. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

MS auto insurance is cheap compared to most states (about half what I paid in FL). Part of that is very lax regulations about what it has to pay. Have you noticed all the cars driving around with cracked windshields? You won't see that in FL - that is because they require insurance to cover that without hitting your deductible.

9. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Yeah if its cheap here then its outrageous in other states.

maxhush likes this.
  10. maxhush

NW MS
    Actually, mine more than doubled when I moved here from Ohio 11 years back, with the same insurance company (but not the same agent). I had State Farm there, at about $275 a half for a 98 CRV, when I got here the local State Farm agent quoted me almost $600 for the same coverage, same vehicle, same driving record, and I had been with the same company for over 20 years. I was able to cut that down a bit by switching to Travelers for a while.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  11. bubbat

bubbat Gate Keeper to my corner of Hell

Clinton
    If your uninsured motorist insurance is the highest part of your insurance premiums, you're getting screwed and need to change agents and company. I have never paid more than $50 every six months for uninsured motorist insurance, just check my new Allstate policy and it $68 a year with them for 3 cars and a motorcycle.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    fordpkup likes this.
  12. maxhush

NW MS
    Uninsured and underinsured combined I may been thinking of. I do recall one or the combination was the largest amount on the bill. The other thing is I'm sure you don't commute to Memphis, which I am sure is a factor (I doubt many of the peeps in Memphis bother with insurance, and the only accident I've had in Memphis, the person indeed did not have it).

13. mascott

Probably didn't even have a drivers license either.

14. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Trippled when I moved here from Texas!! :eek::eek:

maxhush likes this.
  15. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    When that scam was foisted on us, an uninsured, and uninsurable most likely,
    doofus tboned me while running a red light in an intersection, since he had NO
    insurance, I tried to file under the "uninsured motorist" clause in my policy and
    guess what, the insurance company denied the claim probably since the deductible
    was less there than under my collision insurance so they forced me to use the
    collision coverage and then raised to nearly double MY rates across the board
    despite me having been with them for over 20 years, so..........you bet I changed
    carriers as soon as my next semi annual premium came due.

16. bubbat

Clinton
    Have to say you have the worst luck of anyone I have ever known in my life. But you should have gone to your agent and to the insurance commissioner on that one.

17. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Most folks have a misconception about uninsured coverage.

Typically, it DOES NOT pay for repairing your vehicle if the other driver has no insurance.

Copied:

----------------------------------------------------

Most uninsured motorist coverage will pay up to your policy’s uninsured motorist limits for injuries caused to:

• you while driving or riding in the vehicle named in your policy, while driving or riding in any vehicle you do not own, or while a pedestrian

• a relative who lives with you and is injured while driving or riding in the vehicle named in your policy

• anyone else riding in or driving your insured vehicle with your permission, or

• anyone riding in a vehicle you are driving but do not own.

--------------------------------------------------

Ax me how I know.

18. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    My auto insurance paid for repairs to my truck from an uninsured motorist. It cost me a $200 deductable that the insurance company said I would get back of they were able to get money from that driver. They called me one day saying they would not be able to collect funds from that POS driver. Got my truck fixed, but yes..... it cost me $200.

19. bubbat

Clinton
    My uninsured motorist paid for mine too in a hit and run in a parking lot, did over $3000 damage, paid $200 deductible and they fixed.

phillipd likes this.
  20. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

In 2001 I moved from here to Texas and Alfa would not cover me there. I had to buy progressive insurance and they bent me over the stump. Moved back in 04 and it dropped by 400$.....same schit insurance,different area.