close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Powder Coating Cast Bullets and Alox issues

Discussion in '"Boolit" Casting' started by Evil Zim, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Evil Zim

Evil Zim Distinguished Poster

This is a two-fer. I loaded some 9mm a while back, and this batch had always fired very consistently in my G26, but last time out, I was experiencing a significant amount of stovepiping with the same batch, but these were cartridges I had reloaded about a year prior. These slugs were Alox coated, and I recall some discussion a while back that Alox can have have a negative effect on powder over time. Any truth to this, because it might explain the problem?

Second, in light of the potential issue addressed above, I am thinking of trying powder coating for my slugs. Is there a good source for the step by step process? Does the powder coat create any sizing issues? I had planned on running any that I did through a sizining die before reloading. All advice appreciated.

rigrat likes this.
  2. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Look on YouTube for the how too. It's simple to do,just takes patience and time to perfect.
    The colors to use are solids with no metallics in it. If it has metallic in the coating it will not tumble coat well.
    As for where to buy.....I suggest powder by the pound. Also there's a guy on cast Boolits selling it.....never bought anything from him tho.

My process is
    1 cast
    2 dump 2 table spoons of powder/100 projectiles in vib tumbler
    3 tumble for 30mins
    4 dump coated projectiles/excess powder out of tumbler on to steel mesh screen to separate excess powder
    5 dump bullets onto nonstick foil lined cookie sheet and bake
    6 while hot remove from oven,dump projectiles directly into a five gallon bucket of water. This fast quench usually takes out a majority of the flat contact points that form while the projectiles are touching themselves and the backing sheet. Some use silicone mats and this seems to help.
    7 size,load,shoot.

rigrat likes this.

3. Ellis93

Oh and I don't use that alox stuff....I don't want that nasty schit anywhere near me or my firearms lol

4. Evil Zim

Ellis:

Did my first run with mixed result. Any tips for even uniform coverage?

rigrat likes this.
  5. Ellis93

Post a pic.
    How did you do it,step by step.

rigrat likes this.
  6. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

Byram, MS
    ^^ This ^^

Question: Why do you wish to powercoat shotgun slugs?

7. Evil Zim

I am not powder coating shotgun slugs.... .38 Special and 9mm.

rigrat likes this.
  8. Evil Zim

Cast bullets....tumbled for 20 minutes with powder coat and air-soft black pellets, and trotted at 400 for 20 minutes....

Ellis93 likes this.
  9. 41 fan

41 fan Distinguished Poster

I don't find the airsoft pellets necessary. Cast them, dump them in the tumbler, couple spoons of powder, tumble 20 minutes, toss in a colander to shake of excess powder, dump on no stick foil and bake for 15-20 minutes. Make sure bullets are dry if you quench when casting.
    Ronnie

10. Ellis93

What did they look like? Splotchy,thin coverage,flaking coat?

Fwiw I have had better luck without the balls.....believe it or not.
    Another thing I will tell you is no two powders will coat the same and either will have its own learning curve as to make it adhere the best.

Another thing I will share with you.....some times you can preheat the bullets (140* or so) then tumble them in a plastic tub by hand. That nearly always works......only thing is it usually means small batches done. Meaning it takes longer to get a lot done.

11. Evil Zim

I'll give the preheating a try.

Ellis93 likes this.
  12. Ellis93

Ditch the bbs.....

41 fan likes this.
  13. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Listen to Ellis, or better yet, call him or go see him. For whatever reason, I have been lucky enough that he has given me quite a few of his cast powder coated bullets. They are perfection, every single one. He has put in the time and the effort to get it right. Forget what you have read online and talk to somebody that has nailed it after trial and error. His finished bullets look like factory.

Ellis93 likes this.
  14. Ellis93

Well.....it varies. Plinking rounds I usually hurry thru,and the finish is little rough. That's usually when I'm in full tilt production mode.
    Faster is always better right? Lol