Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hodgdon site lists the following:
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Pattern

I have Clays, Titegroup, Universal and Win 231.
Would one of these be better than the other (generally speaking) or would one of the other powders be worth trying to find?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hodgdon site lists the following:
View attachment 311072

I have Clays, Titegroup, Universal and Win 231.
Would one of these be better than the other (generally speaking) or would one of the other powders be worth trying to find?
Can't go wrong for HP38/Win231, nor Titegroup.
I'm sure Clays is fine also. (just not in my inventory)

·
Registered
195 Posts
For handgun, I've always tried to pick the powder that gave the least chance of double charges. Win231 pretty much hits the mark on most. .38 Super is about the only cartridge I've loaded that won't hold enough of it in one drop to reliably make power factor. Most other cartridges, 9mm included, it is easy to spot a double powder charge as I'm about to set the bullet on top it. That's one thing I look at for every single round produced on a progressive press. I use 231 on all other handgun calibers. It's messy, but it gets the job done.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
For 115 bullet titegroup, clays and W231/HP-38 will all work fine. They all ignite easy and give consistent burns at these low charge weights. I typically use 231/hp-38. No particular reason other than it works well, meters consistently through my dillon powder measure and I have a lot. It's also cheaper than the other powders and easier to find then the other three. Universal will work (think similar to Unique) but it's a little slower and I would match it to a heavier bullet if I could afford to be picky about my reloading components. One reason to consider titegroup over the others is it you shoot light plinking loads in rifle calibers with cast bullets, especially straight wall cases. Oh! Universal is good for plinking loads with cast bullets as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts