close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Powder

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by BasMstr, May 5, 2016.

1. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

I have a Lyman #55 powder measure, and it DOES NOT like Hodgdon HP-38. Anybody have a suggestion for a powder measure that HP-38 measures accurately through? Or should I be considering another powder? I have Lee powder dippers, but (of course) none measure close to what I'm loading (3.3 grains).

2. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Hp-38 "should dispense very well. I don't understand why the problem. Is it a static issue? I've never had an issue with hp-38 or Win 231 other than static.

3. BasMstr

I wipe down the holding and drop tubes with a dryer sheet prior to loading the measure and using it. The problem I'm having is getting it to measure the 3.3 grains. I thought it might just be me not adjusting it properly, but I have no problem with the adjustments for Varget. Just thought it might be the powder measure doesn't work well for HP-38.

4. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Some measures just refuse to throw small charges of anything!

5. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

6. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Yep what Sum Gy said. Might try 3.2 , 3.4 sometimes I have to go up or down a grain.

I'm a Rebel and BasMstr like this.
  7. charlie2t

charlie2t Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have loaded light charges of 231 and HP 38 through a Dillon, RCBS and Lee measure without any problems. Lyman should not be any different. What amount is it dropping when you set it at 3.3?

8. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Do you have it mounted on something without any movement in it?

9. Shrek

Shrek Distinguished Poster

Come by in a haz mat suit and you can borrow this Lee powder measure I have.

10. BasMstr

Doesn't have settings, just graduated markings on the slides. Never could get it adjusted to 3.3 grains.

11. BasMstr

It's mounted on a shelf that is secured to the bench, so no movement.

12. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

LOL, hey mine is a Lee...

13. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

Byram, MS
    I actually have 2 Lyman #55s ... neither one of them works very well..... both a cheap Lee several years back as a back-up. Now it is my go to dropper ... go figure!!

14. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I want to try a Lee auto drum one day.

15. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  16. BasMstr

The only two powders I've tried in it are Varget and HP-38. The Varget measures just fine. For now, I'm gonna stick to reloading .38's and I plan on trying different powders. Hopefully I can find one of that the revolver and the powder measure both like.

17. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

For 38 specials, I've used Bullseye, Clays, WST, AA#2, W231 (same as HP38), Titegroup, 2400, Unique and 800x.

Out of them Bullseye, AA32 and w231 would be my favorites and all meter like water. The 2400 is a favorite for duplicate old FBI load with a 158gr LSWC-HP. Unique and 800x , my Lee hates and meters them like gravel off of the road, LOL. Titegroup does good, Clays and WST does good most of the time but have had a few occasions where they would throw a light charge.

18. BasMstr

Thanks, I'll have to pick some up to try in the Lyman

19. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

I've used HP-38 in my Lee Perfect Measure set at 2.4 gr. I haven't changed or adjusted it since '02. It's been dead on.
    I got a Lyman #55 in an estate sale deal that was pretty messed up. I took it apart to clean, didn't get it back together right. Haven't messed with it since.

20. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

My likes in order

AA#2
    Bullseye
    W231

BasMstr likes this.