Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to compare notes on precision reloading? I have not been able to reload for a while and just got my bench back into operation. I have a number of number of precision gages, run out measuring tools, head space tools, presses, etc. Happy to learn some thing new, happy to teach..been doing this about 25 years and there is always something interesting to learn. Pick a topic-handguns or rifle-dont reload for shotguns.

Just to get things going. Let's talk .308.

I like Lapua brass. I don't turn necks, ream primer pockets or sort by weight. With new brass I just load and go. After that I use a Redding bushing die to neck size for a couple of firings. If the bolt requires a little more umph than usual.. I will full length resize and bump the shoulder back to 1/1000th under what a once fired case measures. I watch the run out very carefully. I quit fretting over weighing bullets, cases, primers etc. My powder charges are thrown using an rcbs charge master. I hand prime using an rcbs hand tool. When it comes to presses for the rifle I prefer either a Foster Coax or a Redding T7. For Dies I prefer Redding Dies, and appreciate a seating die with the micrometer adjustments for seating depth. And I like to tumble the brass until it is sparkles like new..

As I get older I quit chasing the Holy Grail of magic loads. I buy powder in 8 pound kegs. Once I get a load that equals or exceeds Federal Gold Medal Match..I quit and enjoy shooting.

One topic I would like to learn more about is annealing brass. Made it this long and never annealed a case.

And yes I have to wear reading glasses to reload.. :lol4:

I know lots of you have developed opinions on what does and does not work for you. At what point you decided enough production rate, accuracy, cost, etc were enough to just enjoy shooting.

· Registered
8,196 Posts
I've been reaiding up on this subject lately and getting more interested. I'm really just trying to begin in the precision shooting game. SGMJody bought a Hornady concentricity guage. It has been a learning experience to say the least. Some of my ammo has been out less 1/1000th, while some has been 10/1000ths.

· Premium Member
21,635 Posts
Sorry - going to have it leave this topic for hte experts; however, I will keep up with the thread in an effort to learn something.

Precision reloading to me is -- if it goes "bang", it is precision!! :lol:

· Registered
4,531 Posts
rdinak said:
And I like to tumble the brass until it is sparkles like new..
Have you tried stainless steel? http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/ I haven't blown the $50 for their media but tried the theory out with some 1/4" nuts and washers I had on hand and a stainless pot scrubber that was handy. I put it all in my RCBS sidewinder and was amazed using RCBS liquid solution and lemishine. I need to get some of their small media so the insides of the case and primer pockets sparkling clean too.

+1 on everything you said

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/kdvq3Kc_Vm0" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

· Nocturnal Specialties
7,489 Posts
I dont have any fancy tools nor fancy dies. All my powder goes thru my rcbs chargemaster 1050. I prime with a lee auto prime, if the pockets are gettin nasty and build it ill clean them out. I use the cheap lee neck sizers and regular rcbs seaters all on a rock chucker.
My best was a 1.5" group at 600yds followed by a 2.25" group with my 300wm using mixed up winchester and remington brass, winchester primers.
I use a foster bench rest seater die for my 270s and a lee collet neck sizer. It works good. 3 Cold bore shots at 600 were 3.6" and another 3 cold bores at 1000 was ~11".

Havent done much testing with 308 yet. But i have lapua small primer brass and some 185gr scenars im gonna try and work up a load in it for f class fun.

22-250 i have to use a full length sizer cause the chamber is so tight in the mcgowen barrel.
Have a bunch of guns that need some load work but not enough time in the day to load and not near enough time on the weekends to do all the testing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.