Mississippi Gun Owners banner

President's report 6/1/2012

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jbpmidas 
#1 ·
Thursday afternoon mildot and I met up with Mr. Sojourner. He is still very enthusiastic but as we reviewed our needs of full control of the range seven days a week, we mutually agreed the gravel pits will not work since they are being worked or have men and machinery downrange. Fear not, all is not lost because there are other sites he owns.

We further developed what we needed and as he learned what we do, he suggested a plantation pine site he has with his brother that has some six to eight year old timber that he is willing to bulldoze down for us and make a lane 150' x 1000 yards long on perfectly flat Pearl River bottom land.

He also wants, or suggested about 10 spots to hookup RV's and throw in a few picnic tables so some could camp out. I'm not sure if that meets our current needs but I have seen some RV's pop up at Magnolia during the classic. He also mentioned cutting some 4 wheeler trails through the woods surrounding the range. Mildot and I think that's beyond our focus.

Cost is not been firmly established since the site isn't even selected, however numbers thrown out seem to be in our budget. The price can go up or down depending on how much site preparation the club wants to provide, aka sweat equity. He will build us a turn key facility if we want him to. Other costs will be insurance, water ($11/month), a shed/trailer/conex for target frames, and an electricity bill. I think the $300/member will cover it but if we have to we may ask for a little more for the first year to pay for capital expenditures then back down as an ongoing venture. In his family are three nephews and two grandkids, all assuredly responsible adults, that think they have the right stuff, they get full access at no cost.

I've been advised to get permission from the board of supervisors what we are planning to fend off any problems with the surrounding neighbors. Mr. Sojourner said he has done many projects concerning the board and will handle that personally.

In summary, we will wind up with a range that we will have full control over with some camping sites and possibly some trails through the woods for 4 wheelers. He also brought up someplace he has where we could shoot across a valley 2.0 MILES. That would be interesting, to say the least.

Have a good weekend and hit some x's

Phillip McGregor, Pres.

See less See more
#3 ·
My thoughts (2 bits) on the possible new location........

1. Will we be able to shoot North (preferred) or South at this location? IMHO, shooting East or West is a waste of time and $$$$.

2. Being "Pearl River bottom land" sounds like this location is in SW Mississippi. Do you know where.....?

3. Being flat does make range construction much easier.....

4. Depending on the details and costs, I would vote for letting him do as much of the range construction as possible.

#4 ·
SubGunFan said:
My thoughts (2 bits) on the possible new location........

1. Will we be able to shoot North (preferred) or South at this location? IMHO, shooting East or West is a waste of time and $$$$.

2. Being "Pearl River bottom land" sounds like this location is in SW Mississippi. Do you know where.....?

3. Being flat does make range construction much easier.....

4. Depending on the details and costs, I would vote for letting him do as much of the range construction as possible.

1) unknown. We have not visited the site, Sojourner sketched it out on an envelope.

2) Simpson County, across the Pearl river from Hopewell.

3) maybe, it may be kinda wet, we will see. He said construction would not be possible in the winter months due to it being wet. He also said if everything is suitable we could be shooting in four months.

4) Duly noted, volunteer labor being what it is, I'm inclined to agree except maybe for the target carriers. I have accounts with wholesale steel companies and can fabricate and weld them. It would be easy with one or two guys assisting, then getting someone to paint them.

#6 ·
Having recently helped remove and store twelve target carriers from the late Burns Range, I would submit that they're likely available immediately for extremely competitive prices. They were working when removed, and would function better with some TLC. If you'd like to have 'em blasted and powder coated, I can arrange for that, but perhaps that's overkill.

#7 ·
Xd357 said:
thanks for the update.

just a question well there be a flooding problem?
I'm not concerned much about that since I've shot at Pascagoula. A significant portion of their range is underwater at all times. Only the firing points and target carriers need to be dry, all else under water is less grass to mow, lol! Magnolia is Pearl river bottom land too, so this isn't an insurmountable issue.

#8 ·
Dusty Rhoads said:
Having recently helped remove and store twelve target carriers from the late Burns Range, I would submit that they're likely available immediately for extremely competitive prices. They were working when removed, and would function better with some TLC. If you'd like to have 'em blasted and powder coated, I can arrange for that, but perhaps that's overkill.
Right before Burns was closed there was talk here of refurbishing them to make them smoother and eliminate pouring oil on the working parts. I asked Doug about them a while back and he said he had interested parties that wanted to purchase them. I'm liking the cantilever system for our location.

The cantilever systems work well as long as the wind cannot blow hard on them from the back, this will cause them to move down unless the target puller can hold a hand on them. Wind from the back considering we would have an impact berm shouldn't be a problem.

I've not yet given up on the hope of electronic targets that will eliminate pits and pit rotation, however the only representative I've spoken with's system will only record supersonic hits, thereby eliminating the blackpowder shooters which is unacceptable. Other companies have some electronic targets that will register sub sonic and I'll have to research that more and see if the NRA will sanctify any of this.

#9 ·

From the description of the property he gave us, and the amount of acres, I believe laying out the range to shoot north will not be a problem. We will determine that when we make a site visit.

I agree with Phillip that the cantilever system for target carriers is the way to go.

#11 ·
jbpmidas said:
4 months? Could the State Championship be the inaugural event?

3,5,600 Saturday?
8,9,1000 Sunday?
No, not officially. First we'd have to become an NRA club, which we will do, then state championships have to be announced well in advance and approved by the NRA. I don't see how I can get them to approve a state championship at what is now a pine thicket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.