Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine decided to have his ARs dipped after they got left out in his barn and were covered with rust and dust. They took them completely apart and dipped them with a Mossy Oak pattern and sent them back to him in pieces. He was not paying for it since his son worked for the store that they went through. He asked me to reassemble them since I was the one that built the lowers in the first place.

The 22LR upper is a Chiappa and I had to relive the inside of the front sight base with a Dremal to get it to go back on the barrel, which I did since it is not a gas block.
I thought the 5.56 would be easy since the gas block clamps in place with two screws, but the tolerance is still too tight. I do not want to do any work on the gas block and mess it up. Just looking for opinions. I think my only option is to tell him I need to take the finish off because if I try to push the block on it s going scrape most of the finish anyway.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't know how this would affect the finish, but the first thought that came into my head was....

Cool (and shrink) the barrel down with some dry ice. Then slip the gas block on before it warms up.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I'm assuming the od of the barrel and gas block are .750 and that dipping most likely add a couple thousandths to it, you can use a brake cylinder hone to open up the inside of the gas block a little.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I'm going to guess it is more than a few thousandths; the film itself would be that and then I suspect is has been clear coated to protect the film.

Note to self; never hydro dip AR barrels

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. When I talk to him tomorrow I will see what route he wants to go with. It started taking the film off when I just started the gas block on the barrel. I told him I might get one done but after seeing what this looks like I will pass. Maybe a bolt action but not an AR.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know where he got it done and don't want to know. The old saying you get what you pay for holds true. It was done somewhere in North Mississippi. They took it down completely, even the sights on the carry handle which they didn't dip. Then they used two different patterns but got the handguards mixed up so they have different patterns from the rest of the rifle. Fortunately I was the one that put the two lowers together to began with so I knew what I was dealing with.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
What I have had dipped in the past was clear coated to protect the finish. I don't know how thick it is but the guy said it was basically about what would be applied to a car finish. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts