Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Glad to be here
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, our local WM has 870's for sale at $260, just the base express model. I have one already set up to hunt with, but I want another with a shorter barrel for hime defense. Also, I just don't want to swap barrels all the time. I think it would be easier to buy this one and shorten the barrel rather than spending another $60 on one with the barrel already short.

Anyone else gone this route?

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
If I was getting one just to chop the barrel I would pick up a used one at a pawn shop.

·
Glad to be here
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking. Seems the used ones are about the same price...around $250. The ine I have for hunting was a pawn shop find ($255).

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
I just saw this posted on Facebook this morning. Outpost is located in north Gulfport . . . not far from you. Good folks, too. FFL transfers for only $15. They're the ones that transferred my lower for my recent SOCOM build.

The Rock Island shotgun is a High Standard Flite King clone, and is one of smoothest actions made. Inlcudes a LIFETIME warranty.

Great article about this gun on The Shooter's Log here.

ria12.jpg

·
Registered
252 Posts
Anyone else gone this route?
I did, but with wingmasters. Got one in pitiful condition from Brother Love a couple of years ago with a extra barrel and a good price. My plan was to cut one barrel and leave the other be so I can swap out for hunting and home defense. I completely rebuilt the shotgun and had two different length barrels for her. Then earlier this year, Calab sold me a very nice wingmaster in 99.9% condition for an outstanding price. So now I have two, and it is very nice just to grab and go when the time presents itself.
2wings.png

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
12,982 Posts
I just saw this posted on Facebook this morning. Outpost is located in north Gulfport . . . not far from you. Good folks, too. FFL transfers for only $15. They're the ones that transferred my lower for my recent SOCOM build.

The Rock Island shotgun is a High Standard Flite King clone, and is one of smoothest actions made. Inlcudes a LIFETIME warranty.

Great article about this gun on The Shooter's Log here.

View attachment 110849
...................... :yeah:

:101010::101010::101010:

Reactions: para40

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Just before Sports Authority stopped selling firearms here in NY I bought a NEF 12ga. Pump action with a 26" barrel (only model they had left)for 164.00 and cut it down to 18.5 with a hacksaw , lightly sanded the end touched up with black paint and drilled a hole for the brass bead . I was very happy with the outcome but lost the use of chokes . Still patterned good for home defense. I say go for it.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have cut several shotgun barrels over the years. I prefer used shotguns too but at that price it’s hard to complain.

I try to buy shotguns in the $175 and less range. I also try to buy 20 ga only so my girls can shoot any shotgun we have comfortably.

Finding a used 20 ga pump for $175 or less is tough but i have bought one or two in the last 2-3 years.

But if i just wanted one now i wouldnt gripe about a $260 one.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 are virtually identical, save just a few things . . . i.e. the trigger groups cannot be interchanged, the Mav has a trigger guard mounted cross-bolt safety versus the Mossy's top tang mounted safety.

The fore-end design is also different. The Mav's have a one piece forearm that comes pre-pinned and the 500 has a 3 piece forearm which consists of: Forearm, Action Slide Assembly Tube, and tube nut.

Mossberg's are made in the USA, whereas the Mavericks are made in Mexico and assembled in Eagle Pass, TX (which is in Maverick county - hence the "Maverick" name).

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I like my Maverick.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,446 Posts
I did, but with wingmasters. Got one in pitiful condition from Brother Love a couple of years ago with a extra barrel and a good price. My plan was to cut one barrel and leave the other be so I can swap out for hunting and home defense. I completely rebuilt the shotgun and had two different length barrels for her. Then earlier this year, Calab sold me a very nice wingmaster in 99.9% condition for an outstanding price. So now I have two, and it is very nice just to grab and go when the time presents itself. View attachment 110859
Love the bottom HD shotty.

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
I ran by Top Dollar at lunch today. I don't normally pay attention to the shotguns. I took pictures of some of the tags. There are a lot more than this. There prices are definitely negotiable. There were three 20 ga ones mixed in. @Joe S
IMG_20181029_120521567_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20181029_120556085_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20181029_120736901_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20181029_120850338~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
I didn't pick up any of them but I don't think there were any Wingmasters.

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
The Remington, Mossberg 500 and Winchester 1300s are all good solid guns. But if I wanted to keep the same brand you can,t go wrong at that price or prices.
Mossberg owns the Maverick brand.

·
Glad to be here
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update...looked for a deal in a 500 or 870 but had no luck. Last week though, I found a winner. I picked up an H&R pardner with the 18.5" barrel from a lgs. I struggled a bit with the idea of buying a Chinese made shotgun, but I got over it quickly. This thing looks almost like an 870 and is built like a tank. All for $125 otd.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Academy has Mossberg Maverick 88 Security pumps for $199
Actually, I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 that I was posting for sale this weekend. Was NIB when I bought it less than a year ago. Have put only a handful of shells through it.
PM if interested.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts