Prospects for milsurp buys in 2018

Discussion in 'Mil-Surp/C&R/Black Powder' started by burb1989, Apr 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. burb1989

burb1989 Distinguished Poster

Saucier
    Hey everyone. Sorry if this gets a bit winded but I just felt like I had to vent somewhere about this. So far this year I've seen and dealt with a few decent milsurps from various dealers and sellers yet I haven't been able to acquire or even find any good buys aside from the miscellaneous arisakas, which seem to show up in front of me as if by some kind of intervention from on high. I've already acquired two arisakas this year, one of them being my new unicorn training rifle, and if all goes well at the military show in a few weeks (three weeks from today on May 4th and 5th) then I'll be acquiring a type 44 carbine, which is very hard to find in this state and is one of the models I need for my display. Thankfully I'm not trying to acquire an arisaka of every series or arsenal otherwise I'd be flat broke or out of room but just getting a hold of the few basic models and a couple of rare or uncommon variants is where I want to be with the display itself. Also to date I have a grand total of 15 arisakas, one shy of tying for the most arisakas possessed within my small collecting circle of friends and if my trade goes well then I will be tied with one of my mentors who has exactly 16 arisakas in his collection. This might pose a problem with displaying them in my room as I'm out of display racks and table space so I might have to have them mounted on a rack on my wall somewhere in my room. Surprisingly I've been having trouble finding any decent enfields, mosins, or any other really common milsurp that I've normally been looking at over that past few years. Now all that seems to be left at the shows are the really expensive and grossly overpriced pieces and the ones in not so decent shape. Some shows I just have to pray for a walk in just to even see a possible buy but now even those are becoming fewer and the ones I've mostly dealt with have been either valuation hunting (trying to find out what their rifle is worth) or finding parts or ammo, which for the most part I haven't seen a dealer selling older milsurp parts since 2013 at least. Maybe I'm just overthinking things and everything's fine out there in gun show land but if this kind of trend continues then I'm afraid that all these shows will be just a chance to hang out with my friends who have tables and bringing rifles for show and tell as I have been doing already.

CajunBP and 22lrfan like this.
  2. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

...I’ve about given up on milsurps at gun shows. I probably get 25% of FB, 35% of the forums like MSGO or Gunboards, 20% word of mouth / contacts, 15% off Gunbroker, and 5% from gun shows or shops. The days of fondling before buying are almost gone. Still find deals though were people either are just needing to move one or don’t quite know value but that’s also getting rarer with what can be googled up.

22lrfan likes this.

3. burb1989

burb1989 Distinguished Poster

Saucier
    I will hate to see when that does happen as there are some milsurps you absolutely have to have in hand in order to judge just basic authenticity. K98s for example have been so humped up over the past few decades that you have to have those in hand just to confirm if parts have been renumbered let alone if a stock's been sanded, etc. I'm leery of online buying just for reasons like this since there are many dubious sellers that'll try and pull one over on a prospective buyer. Also you would be surprised at the amount of people who end up being either clueless on where to look for info or too lazy just to even try and google what they have. I have had a few walk ins looking for valuation on rifles that they had and for the most part I gave them a value and info that they could've looked up themselves if they just had spent maybe a few minutes online.

22lrfan likes this.