Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow holster maker sent a fella my way for a holster rig not too long ago, and this ended up being the fruits of our collaboration. His body type required something that pushed the gun away from his body so a Bruce Nelson/Avenger style holster seemed to fit the bill, and he left the rest up to me.

I ended up going a little overkill on the project but am happy with the end result. Originally a lined holster was what I wanted but in an effort to minimize bulk, opted for a rough out construction. The trailing loop features a 'hidden belt loop' that minimizes clothing snags and also adds a center welt to the holster for extra rigidity. Skiving in non critical area let me take about a third the thickness out of that rear wing from mock up to production model. It has a stitched sight channel to help locate the front sight during reholstering and the rest is pretty obvious. A few mag pouches to compliment and a plastic reinforced belt make the cherry on top so stick a fork in this one - she's done :D

For those interested this new holster will be part of my Executive Series, called the Vindicator.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,204 Posts
Sweet holster, you do really great work . Somebody is going to be really happy with that holster!

I prefer the pancake style myself but thats just me.

On a side note how thick is the belt? I have been using a Beltman belt for about 5 years and it is thick , wondering how your compared in thickness? And do you make any that are as strong but not as thick maybe with the insert in the middle? I was thinking of going with a thinner but wider belt when I change out but want a good strong belt also.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,924 Posts
Nice looking rig.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet holster, you do really great work . Somebody is going to be really happy with that holster!

I prefer the pancake style myself but thats just me.

On a side note how thick is the belt? I have been using a Beltman belt for about 5 years and it is thick , wondering how your compared in thickness? And do you make any that are as strong but not as thick maybe with the insert in the middle? I was thinking of going with a thinner but wider belt when I change out but want a good strong belt also.
Thank you sir - I'm a fan of the pancake but not every body type allows for it to work. For this user he's wide chested with a narrow waist and it puts the gun butt into his ribs.

I've never handled a beltman belt - so I couldn't tell you in comparison but the belt photographed is two layers totaling appx 14 ounces, or around 1/4". You could probably go down some in size because of the liner but the pro/con would offset each other. Recently have moved to a 1 3/4" belt and find it better in every way except not fitting some pants loops. Reinforcing a 1.75" with a thinner liner would be a potent combination.

Nice looking rig.
Thanks bubba!

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,204 Posts
Thanks will have to check my belt loops and holsters to see if a 1 3/4" would fit. I did get curious and measure my belt , it is 1/4" thick and 1.25" wide.

I keep getting wider at the belly and waist I may have to switch styles. ;)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks will have to check my belt loops and holsters to see if a 1 3/4" would fit. I did get curious and measure my belt , it is 1/4" thick and 1.25" wide.

I keep getting wider at the belly and waist I may have to switch styles. ;)
You would benefit from a 1.5" belt, 1.25" is generally considered a dress width. I can reinforce a 1.25" but it is still hard for heavy handguns. Most holsters are cut for a 1.5" belt..

Always liked the idea of the Avenger style rigs. That's sharp man. The rough out really makes it pop.
Thanks Jake - if you have a 5" 1911 I'll send you my mock up piece to borrow for a while.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,204 Posts
Thanks I'll be going to either the 1.5-1.75" on my next one. You are certainly right heavy guns really work on you with the 1.25"

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,204 Posts
LOL, I've been suffering from Joe-itis. I'm just now getting it under control.

·
Lord of Butt Hurt - \m/
1,125 Posts
That is some outstanding work!!! Admittedly I've always said if it's not a tactical style retention holster then I don't want it. You sir have changed my mind! I gotta have one of your Avenger rigs for my 1911s (Crap I just admitted I own 1911s). Sum Gy is gonna accuse me of being a hypocrite now LOL! Could you PM me your contact info Eaglestroker? Daddy's gotta have a new rig!!!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate that, but I don't at the moment. I've turned into Joe lately. Nothing seems to hang around as long as it used to.
You'd best get to the doctor soon - I think they make a cream for Joe-itis? My G43 mold will be here in 3 weeks :)

That is some outstanding work!!! Admittedly I've always said if it's not a tactical style retention holster then I don't want it. You sir have changed my mind! I gotta have one of your Avenger rigs for my 1911s (Crap I just admitted I own 1911s). Sum Gy is gonna accuse me of being a hypocrite now LOL! Could you PM me your contact info Eaglestroker? Daddy's gotta have a new rig!!!
Vader - thank you for the kind words and the interest. You also made me realize I never updated my signature from the forum swap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts