Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well finally got around to giving a try at pulled pork. Let it set in covered pot submerged in brine last night in the refrigerator. Then this morning I patted it dry applied my seasoning, preheated smoker to 225 and set it on to cook. Used the brine stock for my water pan.
The pork shoulder comes in at about 7 quarter - 7 half pounds.

First Pork shoulder - pulled pork try (Small).JPG

So we'll see just how this goes. Wish me luck.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should be ready 5-7ish tonight ya'll come on down.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
If you have one of the smokers that maintains its own temperature then you can ignore the advise I'm about to give. However, if your smoker is one that requires babysitting then you can save yourself some headache (and sleep all night instead of constantly checking the smoker). Meat takes all the "smoke" flavor that it will ever take in the first 4 to 5 hours of smoking. Everything after that is just "cooking" to soften the tissue. You can take advantage of that by doing the first part in your smoker (the 4 to 5 hours), then wrap the meat in foil and move it to your oven inside to finish off.

When I used to do lots of butts, I'd start them in the smoker about 6 to 7pm and pull them off right before bed, wrap in heavy foil, and put in the 225 degree oven. I found out the hard way that you MUST use a drip pan. Next morning, I'd put the whole butt into a small cooler and let it sit until pulling time at noon. At noon, it would still be so hot I could barely handle the meat but it would just fall off the bones.

·
Grouchy Old Fart
23,650 Posts
Looks good. Everybody does theirs differently. I smoke mine for about 8-10 hours overnight and then in the morning I wrap it in foil and put it in a crock pot on low until we are ready to pull it. That's usually at least 4-6 hours. It comes out very tender and moist.

Reactions: rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. Yes I have a small Masterbuilt and it maintains temp pretty good. I ahve read anywhere from 3-5 hours for the smoke as thats all the meat would take in. figured I would keep it smoking up to 5 hours. Then let it finish cooking.
I've read to pull it from anywhere from a internal temp of 195* to 205*. Figured I'd try for 200 and then wrap in double foil and towel sit in cooler for hour or so.

Kinda feeling my way as I go as this is the first I've ever done.

·
Premium Member
20,397 Posts
That should do it! Your about ready to try a brisket now!

Reactions: 1010 and rigrat

·
Infidel
4,181 Posts
Patience is key let the smoker do it's thing! I love pecan for smoking pork but I have over smoked and turned the meat really dark, and kinda gave it a bitter bark, my favorite part. Like you said it'll only take in so much smoke. I usually smoke lightly for an 45- 60 minutes and leave it to cook.
hickory on beef, chuck roasts are excellent too, I just wrap with foil after the 45-60 of smoking to keep it moist and tender like it's been in a crockpot!

·
Free Edward Snowden
6,640 Posts
That's gonna be great!!

I have a UDS. It's a chore to maintain temp. I, too, do it 5 hours in the smoker and finish it off in the oven.

One caution. It will probably "stall" at about 170 degrees for hours. You will be tempted to think something is wrong. Don't. It will break through.

200° is my target. Usually takes 18 hours.

Mucho gusto, my friend. When you bite into that first morsel you're gonna think.

I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks I'll shoot for 200* also then. I'll probably leave it on the smoker the whole time rather than go for the oven. I'll stick the probe in it in about another hour, so I can keep up with the temp.

Reactions: 1010

·
Free Edward Snowden
6,640 Posts
What kind of bread you planning?
I shy away from standard hamburger buns or any soft bread. Don't like the way it flattens and gets soggy.

My go to bread is Kaiser rolls, or if I can't find any, french pistolettes. Just something crusty that can stand up to the juices and the sauce.

I switch between Sweet Baby Ray's Original and for a bit of heat Stubb's Sweet Heat.

·
Grouchy Old Fart
23,650 Posts
Try a beer can whole chicken. You can buy the holders at Wal Mart. Season the chicken and slide it over a 3/4 can of beer or coke, whichever you prefer. Let it smoke/cook about 4 hours and pull it out. Good eating.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had just planned on regular hamburger buns this time. And its Sweet Baby Rays Hickory and Brown Sugar for me.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts