Question about “GO” bags.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness/Self Sufficiency' started by gunsinger, Jan 26, 2018.

Do you have a “GO” bag?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. What’s a “GO” bag?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I plan to stop for supplies at ChinaMart on my way out of town.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. gunsinger

gunsinger Distinguished Poster

Petal, MS
    Anybody ever heard of this “go” bag? The Evatech Combat Bag. $79.99.

Combat Bag (APESVL – bp1) — apesurvival

Is that too much for a “go bag”? Too little? What alternatives do you recommend?

I want something to carry the basic necessities (first aid, hydration, spare mags, spare weapon, etc) but also want to use it daily for my laptop and related items.

Thoughts?

2. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I put mine together myself, from various checklists found online. I found a Swiss military duffel bag at a mil-surp store, and keep everything in there.

3. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I do have a go bag of sorts for my work car. It is nowhere close to being stocked with what I think I need yet. But this winter I started thinking about it and put some clothes, jacket , gloves, flashlight, knife and a few other things I can't remember right now. I was basically thinking about just staying warm till help arrived.
    I want to put one together with the basic survival supplies for 2 people in each of my vehicles(like you mentioned). I also though about getting a folding bicycle for my work car. I have to travel through NOLA and in a worst case if vehicles couldn't be used I would have the bike to try and get home which is 4 hours from Houma. Better than walking IMO.

Not sure about the supplies the bag offers . Looks more like a wilderness survival bag not a get home or go bag for the average person. I'm more looking for a bag set up to get me back home.

94LEVERFAN, gunsinger and Mesquite like this.
  4. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    Bug out bags

What's in your get home bag?

Have a few BOB/GHB. One in every vehicle. Wife's has few different things than mine. Put together personally. That way it's everything need/want and nothing you don't. Can put stuff in a Little at a time. Think that's best way to do it. Save money in long run and don't waste anything.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  5. Doc

Doc Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I do not necessarily have a "go bag", More like a "grab and go" or "grab and stand".
    If the situation get to where you would need a "grab and go" bag - Where are you going? How are you going? and What is there to sustain you?
    I have a place to go where I could sustain my self - but I could not get my "stuff" there in one trip. So, if that day comes for me, I just hope the water starts warming up to a boil slowly instead of being zapped all at once.

6. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Couple of setups, we have a low profile container that has some medical, canned food items, misc necessities, Wife keeps a enviromenmt bag(blankets,rain gear, h20) in vehicle at all times.
    I have a Lg military steel framed Back pack that I used to use for carrying gear on hunt & camp trips that I'm thinking about designating as a official Bug Out Bag.

7. cs700

cs700 Distinguished Poster

I'm pretty sure most of us don't have a "Doomsday Retreat" to go to. Even if we did how would we know if it survived or not. Grab & Stay seems more realistic to me.

8. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

I have no "Go Bag" simply because I have no place to go. if we have a SHF situation, I will stay home, load all the guns, access the emergency food and supplies as need, barricade the doors as needed, and wait it out.

I do, though, have (not in a duffel bag) emergency "get home" equipment and supplies in my truck whenever I go anywhere, including water, machete, small ax, sheath knife, tarp, rope, bungee cords, and other items, including whatever guns I'm carrying at the time. Since I often work in the far reaches of a six-county area, it may take me a couple of days to get home if I were to become stranded, especially if I were trying to remain mostly unnoticed.

9. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

I don't have a "Go" bag so much as we keep GHBs, "Get Home Bags" since our home is remote enough it is our planned safe haven. As such they do contain what most are describing in "Go" bags. Basic medical, changes in socks, underwear, some ammunition, rain gear, hand warmers & gloves, lighters, toilet paper (packs from MREs are very handy), maps of all local counties, Mora knife, paracord, red and green light sticks. Solar powered lights are kept in the vehicles, exposed to the sun, but can be clipped on to the GHB or anything else when leaving the vehicle. Added most recently "airline" sized booze bottles. Food & water is added & removed regularly as leaving some things in the heat / cold degrades its usefulness.

10. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Im not sure about a GO bag but i carry this one with me everywhere for 5 years now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019VWSQ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even take it on vacation when i ever go. Ive packed 5 days of clothes in it when i went to Arizona few years ago. It was small enough to use as a carry on.

I keep enough clothes to get me out of a bind if i get muddy or soaked while out and about. Even keep a change of Thermals, first aid kit, and a extra first aid kit that will connect to the outside molle, nitrile gloves, magazines, knives, paracord, knife sharpener, Spare rifle parts, several battery packs to charge thermal scope or phone. charging cables, snacks, hunting gloves, rain gear, hand warmers, hearing protection, zip ties, leatherman tool, small cresent wrench, Torx bit set, gun cleaning kit, Sum Guy Firearm oil, flashlights with spare batteries, Lens cleaner, compass, cash stashed in one of the interior small pockets.
    Basically i can grab it and go do whatever i need to do weather it be hunting or just throw it in a friends ride if im going somewhere with them.

I do have a seperate hunting backpack with a Primos AlphaDogg electric caller, more thermals, socks, batteries, cables, usb battery packs, knives, paracord, zip ties. The usual stuff for Murphy. .

94LEVERFAN and gunsinger like this.
  11. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Dang man. I hauled a lot less than that when I'd go camping/fishing in the Cascades or Olympics 40 years ago for a week. You ought to learn to live off the land. Save yourself some back strain. ;):lol3:

94LEVERFAN, Mesquite and gunsinger like this.
  12. nonnieselman

Ha i dont literally carry it around on my back, It rides in the back of the tahoe. And i hunt mostly at night so its nice to have everything incase a rifle messes up or scope needs to be removed or something breaks.

Mesquite and rigrat like this.
  13. gunsinger

Petal, MS
    I guess what I had in mind is more of a GHB. I don't worry too much about surviving in place (though I make no claims to be ready). But I do worry about having what it takes to get back home. I need to put something together. Something I can easily carry into my workplace but would sustain me if I had to get home in a tough situation. Of course, the first step is a good backpack that won't break the bank. Most of y'all are far better prepared than I am. I need to start making a list. Y'all have given me a lot of great ideas.

ThatGuy and rigrat like this.
  14. nonnieselman

I kinda splurged on that pack and it has been a good one. If it last me another 5 years it will be well worth the $100 i paid for it.

94LEVERFAN and Mesquite like this.
  15. gunsinger

Petal, MS
    Especially since it's $133 today :)

16. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Well I suppose if you've got a mule (4 legged or 4 wheeled) you can haul around whatever you want. My favorite fishing lake back then was a 1/2 day hike, mostly up hill. Light weight tent, sleeping bag, collapsible fishing pole, hooks, worms, etc.; .22 rifle, sidearm, some jerky, a couple knives, camp ax, roll of tp, smokes, and a couple other simple things. No battery powered stuff or anything else like that. I'd eat trout and blueberries, or a small critter that wasn't paying attention. I never had any 2 legged critters show up - total solitude, which I enjoyed immensely. :)

Oh - and my dog, who ate what I ate or whatever he could catch. Sometimes he'd share.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Hoot G, 94LEVERFAN and Mesquite like this.
  17. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

What I currently use for GHB is the small bag that attaches to the USMC ILBE main rucksack. The main pack is big enough to pack out for several weeks, the small pack "piggybacks" on it & can be used / worn as a small backpack. It's still big enough to hold all I described and have plenty of room left over. The main ILBE is big enough for a small family to live in and has a back brace / belt. If I have to fill that it means I've been kicked out of the house and have to take all my worldly possessions with me. ;)
    I bought the whole rig from Deep South on this forum, IIRC.

94LEVERFAN, Mesquite and rigrat like this.
  18. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

That's what I was gonna say a get home bag even though I don't have one I've had the intention but that wouldn't do me any good.

Mesquite and rigrat like this.
  19. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    I keep a "get me home" bag in the truck that I could probably live out of for a while. I also keep a small trauma kit, shotgun, and extra ammo close at hand.

You can put together a basic kit that might save your life without spending a lot of money.

20. nonnieselman

Ah, yea that's a completely different scenario than what i do.
    95% of what i do is hog hunt at night and im rarely more than a couple miles from the truck. All i take with me is magazines, a snack, flashlight, and batteries for flashlight/Thermal scope and extra usb battery backup for the thermal scope.
    My getting home is getting back to the truck.