close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about “GO” bags.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness/Self Sufficiency' started by gunsinger, Jan 26, 2018.

Do you have a “GO” bag?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. What’s a “GO” bag?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I plan to stop for supplies at ChinaMart on my way out of town.

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

When I was in the N Atlantic we had to wear the Gumby suits on all flights

The hardest thing for me to get used to was the “rebreathers”. In the N Sea, you wear a rebreather, and even after having been scuba diving, it takes some getting used to as it is just a mask and a small bag on your chest.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

I’d have one but my multitool already has that covered.
    This is why I carry extra snacks in my lunch bag. I’d hate to eat something that has been in my car for even a couple of days, during the nine months that it gets really hot in there.

Scharfschütze likes this.

3. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

I've got sos coastguard approved food and water. it should stay fairly fresh in a trunk or bag out of direct sunlingt, even in MS.

Jarhead5811 and rigrat like this.
  4. Jarhead5811

If they’re anywhere near as bad as the MREs, I once had to eat, I’m thinking I’d just go hungry. I’m not even joking.

rigrat likes this.
  5. 2DARK2C

LeansVeryRight2016 and rigrat like this.
  6. gunsinger

gunsinger Who you callin’ a snowflake?

Petal, MS
    Pending the arrival of my bag, I've put together a list of stuff I feel I would need. Of course, since I don't believe in reinventing the wheel, I borrowed quite heavily from the ideas posted here. I assigned a priority (1 or 2) based on my normal travel habits. I've gathered pricing and put it all in a spreadsheet. If I bought it all at once, it's about $300. The priority 1 items comes in about about $115.

I am stumped on one area. Many of you listed cash as an item in your bag. That was the only thing I was unable to find on the web. I could not find where to procure that.

:lol5:

Jarhead5811 and Scharfschütze like this.
  7. 2DARK2C

pay-pal me $100 US and I will mail you 57 $1 bills plus a roll of quarters :)

8. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Yeah good luck with that. If you find a source let me know.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  9. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Actually I'll tell you what we did. Since we get paid once a month, I added a $5 bill or a couple of ones every month, so I didn't miss the money so much. Once I got up to $50 I figured I could stop. I do know people who keep >$500 in small bills on hand in the gun safe, etc. in case of situations described earlier, breakdown of ATM / e-payment systems. I just can't keep that much on hand out of circulation, but we do keep a small sum of small bills around for above reason as well as what's in the bag. You may have thousands in the bank but if you can't access it, what good is it? And again, start small. Just squirrel away $5-10 / month and before you know it you'll have a nice little emergency stash.

rigrat likes this.
  10. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Also I have come across 1/10oz American Gold Eagles from time to time that people sell for spot price (yes they were verified as real). These are small enough in value to trade for stuff if currency ever becomes worthless as in many doomsday scenarios and will hold value if they just sit here and are inherited by the (yet to be conceived) grandchildren.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  11. gunsinger

Petal, MS
    A great idea.

12. Jarhead5811

It hurts but you only have to do it once. I keep a $100 bill behind my phone, in the case. I know it’s too large of a bill for the purposes some envision but it isn’t bulky. I’m not very tempted to break it, because it is a large bill. It’s always with me. If I lost my wallet, I still have cash. If the credit/debit machines are down, I can still buy gas.
    image.jpg

13. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Good idea; since I have small bills in my GHB I think I'll tuck away a couple of 20s in my phone.

14. LOBO

LOBO Active Member

You are very welcome.

15. gunsinger

Petal, MS
    Well, my Propper Expandable Backpack arrived last week. The free shipping was quick (ordered on Sunday, expected the next Saturday, arrived Friday). My first impression is that this is a quality bag. I like the fact that the insides are a different color allowing me to easily see the items contained within. It's bigger than what I was carrying, but not overly large so it fits into my everyday office life. There are plenty of compartments with internal organization. There is one that can accommodate a water bladder, complete with a hanging hook and an access port for the drinking tube. This bottom half of this compartment is a hook panel so you can attach a loop type holster. I've ordered one by Maxpedition (due in tonight). The main compartment is wide and has two internal organizers, one for a laptop and a mesh for other storage. There is plenty of room for bulk items. If I need more room, it expands by two inches (hence the name). There are 4 other external compartments; two for large water bottles (or whatever) and two for miscellaneous storage (with internal organizational pockets or loops). The front side is covered with nylon Molle straps. There is a pocket at the top that has a soft interior for sunglasses or a phone. The back is padded and vented. There are straps and hook points on the shoulder straps along with a chest strap for security. I can carry it on just a single shoulder strap (as I will most likely do the majority of the time) and it does not slip. Carrying this way allows me to operate it as a sling bag affording easier access to my CCW.

Overall, the quality seems good. From what I can tell, this is a well-made bag. The zippers are all dual pull (except one) so I can access from either side. Some of them are a bit stiff but should loosen up with usage. I think I'll be well pleased.

The next step is to start working through my list of items, buying some here and there, until i have this bag ready to go.

Here are some pics...

BD16898A-7D28-4128-86EF-778C9B94E673.jpeg 490A199F-F5F6-4E94-9050-5F76D71B5EEA.jpeg 149FDD6C-1ACC-4756-BA71-928BAC8A7B14.jpeg 46EAB7FC-D4A5-4E9E-81C5-6231CF7A82FC.jpeg

rigrat, Jarhead5811, CajunBP and 2 others like this.
  16. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

I like the contrasting interior color.

Jarhead5811 likes this.