Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,485 Posts
That is gonna depend on who made it, year it was made, overall shape, bore, muzzle, throat, etc.

Way too much info needed for this question.
Come to the gun show this afternoon and let me look at it, if you want to.

If you are coming, shoot me a PM.

· Registered
15,551 Posts
If its like many other WWI WWII era rifles its been rebuilt several times and would have mixed parts...but maybe its as you say a project gun from someone who wanted one that was all matching..

Those that saw time in theater I'm pretty sure were mixed parts...

Tell your friend I'll give him $300 for it now...sight unseen :)

· Registered
15,551 Posts
ask Doug, he's the gun guru

:bow:

Depends on condition...really does...since I can't see it...I'd say anywhere from $500 - $800

It the parts really all matched maybe more...but I would not give any more for one because of it...I like em with beauty marks...

CMP is suppose to be getting some more of em in '11/....fingers crossed

· Registered
5,000 Posts
Like everyone said need more info. Are they looking to sell? Get some photos and post it here.

Or...I'll go $301 sight unseen, :) , been looking for one. $302 if it's a Smith-Corona.

· Registered
4,531 Posts
TankerHC said:
Can anyone tell me the approximate value of one of these guns? I believe the seriel # is 486XXXX and has all matching numbers.
There is no such thing as matching numbers on US arms with the exception of national match 1903's which sometimes has the serial number electropenciled (not engraved) into the bolt body. The only reason for matching numbers is to keep hand fitted parts together. The US mastered universal parts interchangeability, Germany did not.

If it has the last 4 of the serial number on the bolt handle and side of the stock it is a return from Greece sold by the cmp several years ago for $450.

Originally they had parkerized receiver and barrels with the bolt and most small parts blued, like this

Your friends rifle is in the Smith Corona serialization block. Does it have a 4 or 6 groove barrel? Smith Corona's are arguably more accurate than any other 1903 or 03A3 (they win at Perry). A Smith Corona rifle should have FJA stamped on the left side of the wrist of the stock. Anything else means the stock was replaced and anything in addition to FJA, such as AA, means it went to a rebuild facility. Sometimes the rebuild facility received new rifles that had not been issued. They inspected them like any other and stamped them.

Like anything it's worth what someone is willing to pay. $500 - $800 seems about right unless it's one of the unissued pristine ones. I'd pay over $1000 for one of those.

The only 1903 and 03A3 rifles the CMP is going to receive are returns from vetrans organizations. Most have shot many blanks and were not cleaned resulting in sewer pipe barrels.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2240&cid=3

· Registered
15,551 Posts
Good post...yeah I was hoping maybe CMP would "find" a few..but if they do...they will auction them and some of those folks are willing to pay big $ for em...

Got my Springfield a couple years ago for $400 from CMP

I should have backed up the truck....

· Registered
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I havent actually seen the gun. It belongs to a guy down in Florence who I ran into on Facebooks "Anything About Guns" page. His grandfather brought it back from WWII. I recommended this forum to him last night and I believe he is going to join if he already hasnt. I am sure he will post about it. He wants to find out anything he can about it.

· Registered
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Talked to him a few minutes ago. Behind the sight it says 36018 1918, has a 4 groove barrel and is in very good condition.

Also inside the groove where the safety fits into the stock there is what looks like an S and a J, hes not sure about the S. And right in front of the front sling ring there is a little pad with an H stamped on it.

· Registered
5,370 Posts
THe 1903-A3, I bought in 2008 cost me $500 at the CMP store. I have seen them all the way up to $800.00. Of course the rifle I got had an unfired bore and was all correct. It had never been back to any arsenal for refinishing or reproofing.

The Smith-Corona rifles use barrels marked SC but they were made by High Standard. The HS barrels are supposed to be the best 03-A3 barrels made.

Doug

· Registered
4,531 Posts
TankerHC said:
Talked to him a few minutes ago. Behind the sight it says 36018 1918, has a 4 groove barrel and is in very good condition.

Also inside the groove where the safety fits into the stock there is what looks like an S and a J, hes not sure about the S. And right in front of the front sling ring there is a little pad with an H stamped on it.
36018 1918?
Ya got me there! Need some pics!

the safety fits into the stock there is what looks like an S and a J
The safety is on the back of the bolt, it doesn't fit anywhere near the stock. He may be confusing the magazine cutoff marked on and off. S may mean a Springfield replacement stock.

front sling ring there is a little pad with an H stamped on it.
This is not a front sling ring, it is a stacking swivel so three or more rifles could make a tripod in the field. The little pad is the bayonet lug, and H means its hardened.

Here's an 03A3 stacked with a couple Garands... wait I went to the site I found the image and learned that is one Genuine M1 and an Airsoft (darker wood)! The 03A3 is a drill rifle. It had me fooled!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.