close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about competing in areas with Hi-Cap magazine laws

Discussion in 'USPSA & IPSC' started by oO_Rogue_Oo, May 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

So I have a really silly question that has been rolling around in the back of my mind for a while now. For those that travel the competition circuit; do all of the sanctioning bodies have special rules for places like California and Maryland?

California also has a new law that looks like it is going to be passed that will eliminate the bullet button and make all ARs fixed magazine. Should make 3 gun just about pointless.

2. fredfredfred

fredfredfred Fred endorses this message

Most of the time big matches are not held in these areas, but the law is the law, and actually why you have a Limited 10 division. In multi gun (not 3 gun) they can have less rounds for the rifle and shotgun, in 3 gun they have to count equally. So, to answer your question, to my knowledge, there are no " relaxed law" zones allowing competitors to break state law.

3. none of those laws will effect anyone but the criminal
    if you are finding the laws are effecting you then you must be a criminal

4. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    Well those laws haven't been in effect forever, and they don't effect items that were "grandfathered in."
    If high capacity mags are grandfathered in, then possession of them is not illegal.
    The laws only prohibit import/sale/manufacture of high capacity mags. You can have them all day.
    So we can take them there legally, it would only be illegal to sell them there.

They make the divisions with lower capacity mags for people that didn't have mags before the law went into effect and it would thus be illegal for them to buy them now in CA.

TLDR: The laws don't have to be "relaxed" because they can only control the commerce of the mags and not their possession since there is the grandfather clause.

5. I think I read that commiefornia is not grandfathering

it is the law that is passed this week or is introduced this week

same law that requires home made guns to be registered

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. tha1000

tha1000 Distinguished Poster

I believe California has an exemption for traveling to the state for competition purposes. New York and Hawaii are limited to 10 rounds regardless of division, if my understanding is correct. I think you'd have to do a bit of area specific research before committing to travel to or through an anti-2A state for a match.

7. if around the la area...i know of a 2a friendly house

with friendly people inside