Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Question about multi-gun and the match scheduled for 6/19?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  9d up 
#1 ·
I found this link Team Magnolia Multigun but it seems to be mostly for registering for a match. Are these matches individual or team shooting events. Any info about how to get started in this sport would be appreciated. For now, I’m interested in sitting in and watching some of this upcoming match. Might be interested in participating in a match later on. Is there a fee to sit in as a spectator? Any info and guidance would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I do not shoot the multi gun matches. I have shot other pistol matches at the club. I'm also a club member.

You can come and watch a match. You do need to bring ear and eye protection. There is no fee to watch. There is a match fee to shoot a match. The amount is normally posted when they put up the link to sign up. You are under no obligation to shoot the match by signing up on line. You pay your match fee when you sign up officially at the range. On line sign up makes things go much more smoothly so it is suggested to do it on line.

I suggest asking some questions of the people shooting the match when they are not preparing to so shoot. There is usually plenty of time between times a shooter is shooting. This is an individual sport. You shoot on a squad so only a certain number of people move from one stage to another at a time.

9up, I believe is the name on this forum, is the match director for this match. You can PM him if you want to ask him some questions.

Currently I am shooting the steel matches at the club. You can also come and check these out as well. There is a match in the morning. We start setting up the stages at 7 and I think the sign up starts around 8 until 8:30. Adult match fee is $11. 125 round minimum is needed. I suggest bringing more to cover the misses. You can shoot .22 rifle or pistol, center fire .38 cal. and above. No magmums. You can also shoot pistol caliber carbines. We shoot 5 targets on a stage. You shoot the same stage 5 times for a 25 round total. We shoot 5 stages that are all set up with the plates in different configurations. There are always plenty of people to help a new shooter get through the match. You do need eye and ear protection for all the matches. Doesn't matter if you are shooting or watching.

Many of the people shooting multi-gun matches also shoot the steel matches. I see no reason to not expect the same help for any match put on by the club. We are always looking for new shooters. Most likely you will wish you came and shot the match rather than just watch one first.

There are some very good shooters at every match. There are also ones that have much worse scores. We all have fun no matter where we place on the score sheet.

Remember this is a cold range. Guns must be unloaded and in a case or bag. They will let you know when to remove them from the bag. Make sure your chamber is empty before coming to the range. Rifles should have a flag for the chamber. Weed wacker string with a loop on one end works well for an empty chamber flag.

#3 ·
PWB,
You're in the right place. Dave always has great info that is on point. Check back to this sub forum on Monday or Tuesday and the match with info will be posted.

9'd up (Clayton) is on a super secret mission far far away and has crappy cell coverage right now.
He wanted me to relay to you that you should show up for the match next weekend with a rifle and a pistol, two magazines for each and a belt rig to hold the holster and magazines.

#4 ·
PWB - come play with us. The matches at Magnolia are great with really nice people that come and shoot. Great way to make new shooting buddies. We offer a money back guarantee at the steel matches - if you didn't enjoy your first match we'll refund your match fee. We will be celebrating out 4th Anniversary of Steel Challenge matches at Magnolia tomorrow with a cookout lunch after the match. Just to clarify from Dave's post - registration for steel matches is cut off at 8 AM at the range so we can set up the squads and electronic scoring. First shot is usually before 8:30 and matches done around noon, give or take a bit

#5 ·
Golfer, thanks for the signup time correction. When you always try to arrive at 7, it is hard to keep track of the time for registration. My guess was a bit off.

This match I think I finally got everything loaded up right. Magazines match the pistol and even have the right caliber ammo this time. Trying to be prepared for the big match. Hard to believe we have been shooting Steel Challenge matches for 4 years.

#7 ·
You can shoot pistol caliber carbines and .22 carbines or pistols for the Steel Challenge. I'm not certain about OutLaw Steel. You can also pay a second match fee and shoot another gun in a different division. An example is a .22 rifle for one and a .22 pistol for another.
There is a rule book for Steel Challenge. This should be the link to the book on line.
Steel Challenge Club Information - Steel Challenge Shooting Association Home Page - US Practical Shooting Assocation

Golfer on this forum is our match director for both matches and can answer your questions. Besides, what he says goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.