Question for y'all scope guru's

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by GunnyGene, May 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

This is in reference to the scope I mounted on my 9422m. I can't get proper eye relief from the scope, so I'm thinking about putting both mounts behind the turrets instead of on both sides as it is now (see pic). That would allow me to move the scope forward by enough to get good relief I think.

I know there would be less evenly distributed support, but would that necessarily translate into less stability under normal shooting conditions?

scope mount.jpg

Soonered likes this.
  2. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

Another alternative would be extended (offset) mounts. Leupold makes them but I don't know if they are available to go on .22 dovetail grooves.

Soonered likes this.

3. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

With a .22 Magnum it would probably be OK, at least as a temporary fix until you can get offset rings, but I wouldn't normally do that on a heavier round.

Soonered likes this.
  4. turable.shot

turable.shot Distinguished Poster

I would think, with that caliber, you would be ok.
    But, I be looking for a Picatinny rail, which would probably allow you to move it some forward.

Disclaimer...no scope guru here.

Soonered likes this.
  5. 41 fan

41 fan Distinguished Poster

6. GunnyGene

:lol4: This is an old Winchester lever action (bought new in 1974). I doubt anyone makes a Picatinny rail for it, and even if somebody did I would not even think about insulting this rifle with one, nor am I going to drill any holes in it. I don't even really like having a scope on it at all, but I'm at the point in life where my eyeballs ain't up to accuracy with iron sights anymore. :lol1:

One other irritation is that bi-focals and scopes don't play well together, so I take them off to focus the reticle sans glasses. PITA no matter what.;)

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Soonered and Mesquite like this.
  7. 41 fan

41 fan Distinguished Poster

Midway has a rail, might be a bit to tall.
    The one in the link above could have a couple more grooves filed in it.
    Ronnie

8. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Maybe a scope with a different eye relief...if money isn't a huge factor...certainly no guru that's for sure.

Soonered and Mesquite like this.
  9. GunnyGene

I think I'll just reposition the rings and see how that works out. I'll have to re-zero, but that's ok. Don't want to spend any more $ on this.

Soonered, Mesquite and CajunBP like this.
  10. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

In actuality, what you probably need is more stock - not a different scope position. Install a recoil pad with some thickness in it to lengthen your pull.

11. GunnyGene

Thought about that. Already have a 1/2" spacer between the stock and butt plate, but may have to increase that. I'll need to find some longer screws for it first. Can't see paying for a limb saver or similar strap on, when I can make spacers.

Anyway, it's a good day for shooting today :) . No wind to speak of, so unless the wife finds something for me to do, I plan on trying out a couple things with it. See how the 30grn V-max runs, maybe move the scope rings and start over with sighting in.

12. Rougarou

Rougarou Active Member

Have you thought about matching the scope to the gun rather than trying to muscle a way to get that scope to work? I imagine that scope is a little more than you need, and you can find a smaller fixed 4x or similar for very reasonable prices. It would give you better eye relief and most likely be more aesthetically pleasing on the gun.

13. GunnyGene

Thanks, but I've already tried that. This one works well with both rings behind the turrets and aesthetics aren't a big thing with me. :)

Jarhead5811, Blondie70 and Rougarou like this.
  14. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    Gunny, like you I deal with bifocals and the challenges
    using them with a scope present. There is a place, I'll
    need to look up the internet address later today, that
    makes a customized to your Rx device that fits on the
    eyepiece that uses the closeup Rx from your glasses
    and its available in both clear and tints for differing
    needs. I WILL get back to you later today.

15. GunnyGene

That sounds very useful! Thanks. My eyes aren't real bad - I can still tell the difference between a 'coon and a deer at 100yds without my specs. ;):lol3: . Been just pushing 'em up on my noggin to peer thru the scope or binocs.

16. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    Gunny, here is the URL for the maker of the aid for
    bifocal wearers, basically what he has done is to take
    the close up portion's Rx from your overall eyeglass
    Rx and adapt it to a lens in a flexible rubberized
    housing that slips over the eyepiece of the scope
    allowing you to do without your eyeglasses while
    shooting since it will then bring the reticle into
    sharp focus and you can achieve a more natural
    cheek weld. www.scopeaid.com The thing
    isn't dirt cheap but it can be transferred between
    different scopes so its overall utility is greater.
    That way the cost is distributable over a range
    and isn't a one shot sort of approach.

17. GunnyGene

I'll check it out. Thanks. :)

18. Jedman7

Jedman7 Full Poster

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I couldn't find an answer elsewhere, and since this is a "guru" thread, I have a question: Is it a waste to put a Vortex Crossfire II, 3-9x40 on a .22 rifle? It would be used for both target and small game shooting, no shots going beyond 100 yards, and most shots at 50 yards or less. Thanks for any advice given, with reasons behind the advice.

19. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

Since we tend to shoot 22LRs a lot, I tend to put the best scopes I can on them. I’ve got a leupold 8.5-25, fixed 12X , CMores on two that we use at night, down to my son’s latest idea of a vortex crossfire2 1X on a 10/22.

Blondie70, SLBcmtr and 22lrfan like this.
  20. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

I dont think so. I have a 3-10x40 on my savage 22 i use for squirrel hunting. its about perfect.
    It works out perfect with a 50 yard zero i zoom to 10x and the duplex is the 100yard drop enough to hit a turtle.

Blondie70 and SLBcmtr like this.