Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Question on Gun Ownership

1255 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  crossedcannons45
A friend of mine called me this morning and told me he is thinking about buying a 1911 .45. He had a question. He was treated at the VA for PTSD and for depression after returning from Afghanistan. I told him a read that you cannot purchase a firearm for reasons like this. Anyway, I looked it up and what I found was that you would only be not allowed to purchase a firearm if you were found mentally incompetent or was commited to a mental institution. He was neither. I found that on several Websites but not on any ms.gov sites. Whats the rule on this?
1 - 3 of 14 Posts
SO HR 2640 says "has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution." "Any mental institution" would, obviously, include a VA hospital mental ward. And, the government's definition of a "mental defective" is: “A determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease: (1) Is a danger to himself or to others; or (2) Lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs. The term shall include a finding of insanity by a court in a criminal case.”

And thats it. So he is eligible to own a firearm. Thanks. Good thing.
I was wondering if it had passed so I googled it. WHat I found was the bill passed the house and senate and was sent to the president but it doesnt say if he vetoed it, signed it or didnt sign it so it would pass.
1 - 3 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.