Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin called this morning with a question. He likes to bid on lots of ammo and things from an Auction. He has a friend that has some Yougoslavian 8mm Mausers. He got him some old ammo and it won,t fire in the rifles. He had it checked and the primers are so hard that they do not dent in these rifles but they will shoot new ammo. Cousin wants to know if the bullets can be pulled, powder removed and new primers put in? I told him it sounds do-able.
He wanted me to ask the experts that I knew on the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I told him I had encountered it one time with some old Egyptian ammo in 9 mm. Seems to have a steel primer.
I have read a little of the Berdan primers. Something that I do not have the knowledge to do yet.

·
Banned
1,268 Posts
I remember somebody at Mag reloading some, IRC you have to have a bunch of spent .22 casings to do it.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
If your cousin had an old Yugoslavian 8mm Mauser he might not have any problem with the ammo.
I'm thinking that the firing pin might be longer in the old gun. Could be the return spring is shorter or not as stiff as in a newer gun.
Quick fix, maybe. Buy a new firing pin spring for the rifle. Push springs have a flat surface on each end. Remove the bottom ring of one end of the spring, 1/128 to 1/64th of a inch, this will allow the firing pin to travel a bit farther. The spring won't be as tight for the return since the shoulder was removed. Check max travel of the firing pin in the bolt so it doesn't bottom out. Order or have a machine shop make a new firing pin 1/64th inch longer. If it cracks the primer it can be filed a bit.

·
Senior Curmudgeon
643 Posts
If he's set up to pull the bullets and powder, I'd put them in new primed cases and throw away the old cases. I've got 880 rds of click-bang 7.62x54 that I plan to do that with.

Reactions: DEADEYE 1

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is in Alabama or his other home. Next time he calls or comes by I will check. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: canebreaker
1 - 11 of 11 Posts