Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To bad they didnt move to mississippi. Did they even get a offer to come to this state?
:2cents:
“The greatest asset any employer has is their employees, even though we could make a much better deal outside of the state, our employees aren’t willing to move. And 95 percent of our parts suppliers are right here in Connecticut."

It sounded like the owner won't move/relocate for his 35 employees' experience and sakes.

Yes, too bad. For both Charter Arms and for Mississippi.

Connecticut has horrendous state income taxes too!

No, I don't know if Mississippi offered any incentives to his company to attract him to move it here.

There's at least one elected Mississippi state official on this forum though, maybe more.

Too bad.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,476 Posts
To bad they didnt move to mississippi. Did they even get a offer to come to this state?
“The greatest asset any employer has is their employees, even though we could make a much better deal outside of the state, our employees aren’t willing to move. And 95 percent of our parts suppliers are right here in Connecticut."

It sounded like the owner won't move/relocate for his 35 employees' experience and sakes.

Yes, too bad. For both Charter Arms and for Mississippi.

Connecticut has horrendous state income taxes too!

No, I don't know if Mississippi offered any incentives to his company to attract him to move it here.

There's at least one elected Mississippi state official on this forum though, maybe more.

Too bad.
Yes, indeed... as recent as Nov. 13, 2019, Charter Arms owner Nick Ecker remains firm in staying in Connecticut's famed gun making center of the Connecticut River Valley.

Colt is staying all quiet and "mum" regarding their future intentions... if any should exist to move the company (or not) out of Connecticut.

Until such a company as Charter Arms or Colt signals their desires and/or intentions of pulling up tent stakes and relocating operations "lock, stock, and barrel"... specific incentive packages offered by any State would seem premature.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Moving a factory is not as simple as loading up your machinery and trucking it to a new place. Bigger issue is the people who run that machinery. That is why companies that do move keep their intentions secret and just open a "2nd factory" in the new location. Then, they ramp up operations there until they suddenly announce that they are closing their original location.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Moving a factory is not as simple as loading up your machinery and trucking it to a new place. Bigger issue is the people who run that machinery. That is why companies that do move keep their intentions secret and just open a "2nd factory" in the new location. Then, they ramp up operations there until they suddenly announce that they are closing their original location.
Yep, their employees, their/company loyalty and their experience!

Still -- IMO - Mississippi could and should be more welcoming and inviting to those sorts of jobs and companies.

The companies who've left the NE USA haven't moved to Mississippi.

Too bad for us. But this is a gun forum, after all.

Yes, I understand. There's more to it than just financial/tax incentives and history.

Tate? Delbert? Anyone …?

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Yep, their employees, their/company loyalty and their experience!

Still -- IMO - Mississippi could and should be more welcoming and inviting to those sorts of jobs and companies.

The companies who've left the NE USA haven't moved to Mississippi.

Too bad for us. But this is a gun forum, after all.

Yes, I understand. There's more to it than just financial/tax incentives and history.

Tate? Delbert? Anyone …?
If Bloomberg, et al, get their way ALL firearms and related manufacturing will be forced off-shore, imports will be prohibited, and eventually all firearms will be confiscated. That's the long term goal, and everyone - including the Left - knows it. The difference is that the Left sees it as a feature, while the rest of us know it's a big damn cockroach with a bad attitude.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,792 Posts
I think every county in Mississippi has an "industrial park" that they mow all summer long.

Surely there is one that could cut a deal with one of those Connecticut gun manufacturers.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
I think every county in Mississippi has an "industrial park" that they mow all summer long.

Surely there is one that could cut a deal with one of those Connecticut gun manufacturers.
There's one in Aberdeen - about 20 or so acres. Plus the now vacant Holley performance factory in town.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Problem with trying to get companies to move to Mississippi is the lack of quality skilled labor. Ask Nissan how being in Mississippi is working out for them. My understanding the Mississippi plant has their worst record for quality and is on it's last legs. There has been rumors of an up coming plant closing.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,476 Posts
The Google list of industrial parks in Mississippi goes on for pages and pages:

Mississippi Industrial Parks
There's a long "laundry list" of why many industrial parks in Mississippi have "ready & waiting" vacant manufacturing buildings/space available... o_O

Save for a few bright spots (thankful exceptions to the rule)... industrial manufacturing in our State has significantly declined in my lifetime... :(

As a result, far too many of our youth... especially the best and brightest... are having to depart from Mississippi for hope of decent employment and career opportunities... thanks to NAFTA and the relocation of manufacturing to Mexico and to other overseas locations (i.e. - look west across the Pacific Ocean)... but I digress here.

Reactions: bucmeister and 7557

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
Problem with trying to get companies to move to Mississippi is the lack of quality skilled labor. Ask Nissan how being in Mississippi is working out for them. My understanding the Mississippi plant has their worst record for quality and is on it's last legs. There has been rumors of an up coming plant closing.
Companies have to train their employee's. How do you think the oilfield in the GOM survive with the majority of there people coming from La, Ms, Al, and Tx?

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,792 Posts
Looking at local big stores like Walmart, Home Depot, Belk, and Kroger and government agencies (in Vicksburg), I'd say that a large class of locals simply cannot be trained.

At least they cannot be trained by the managers (who are also local folks) in those establishments while also complying with all of the EEO laws and regulations and paying the wages that the employees get paid.

I suspect that Nissan is running into that.

One reason I'd kind of hate to see big manufacturers come to Mississippi in big numbers is they could eventually transform the state into a labor union sympathetic state and eliminate the state's Right To Work law.

What I have noticed is companies that come to Mississippi leave when their 20-year tax break incentive for coming here expires.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
So you are saying Nissan cut their own throat by not paying enough?

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
You can get decent workers in MS. I use to be a manager in manufacturing. The problem is accountability. It is human nature to do as little as necessary to get by. If you don't set standards and require the employee to meet those standards, you get what you get. Managers are afraid to make their employees mad, I never was, they aren't going to feed my family if I got fired for letting them run the asylum. I have set production records at various facilities, I quit after a few weeks after I saw the culture and I have been fired after 1 month(the company eventually went under) for not kissing tail.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Companies have to train their employee's. How do you think the oilfield in the GOM survive with the majority of there people coming from La, Ms, Al, and Tx?
Yokohama in West Point has the same labor problem. Either they get people who really want to work but are too poorly educated to be useful (or too stupid to follow directions) or they get smart people who are too lazy to actually work.
Employees have to be willing to work and learn, not have a sense of entitlement like they are owed something. I have never seen a workforce as bad as what I've seen in Mississippi. Sorry just calling it the way I see it.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
Employees have to be willing to work and learn, not have a sense of entitlement like they are owed something. I have never seen a workforce as bad as what I've seen in Mississippi. Sorry just calling it the way I see it.
I guess we got the ream of the crop offshore. As we have allot, and I do men allot of Ms hands out there.

But I understand because at the poison plant I saw some just like you are talking about.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts