Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Strap a flashlight to your 22 rifle and get to work. (I was grown when I learned it was legal to hunt rabbits during the day. We thought you had to do it at night.)

Cut a slit in the skin perpendicular to the backbone. Insert a couple of fingers from each hand into the slit and pull the skin in opposing directions. Half will go over the head and front legs while the other half will go over the back legs. Use a cleaver or sharp scissors to cut off feet and head behind where the hide has been stripped back. Then gut and wash it. Remove back legs and loins. Give the rest to your dogs.

Put the meat in a crock pot with some taters, onions, celery, garlic, and beef stock. You'll have about 8 hours to decide between white or brown rice.

This recipe works with most of God's creatures.

·
MSGO Court Jester
35,219 Posts
You can shoot them, but I hear rabbits have been known to breed like rabbits. For a hundred bucks and a little sweat, you can get enough rabbit fence from the Depot or Tractor Supply to keep them out permanently.
Just don't do like John Travolta's character George Malley in the movie Phenomenon and fence one or more of the little buggers inside. :lol1:

·
MSGO Court Jester
35,219 Posts
Strap a flashlight to your 22 rifle and get to work. (I was grown when I learned it was legal to hunt rabbits during the day. We thought you had to do it at night.)

Cut a slit in the skin perpendicular to the backbone. Insert a couple of fingers from each hand into the slit and pull the skin in opposing directions. Half will go over the head and front legs while the other half will go over the back legs. Use a cleaver or sharp scissors to cut off feet and head behind where the hide has been stripped back. Then gut and wash it. Remove back legs and loins. Give the rest to your dogs.

Put the meat in a crock pot with some taters, onions, celery, garlic, and beef stock. You'll have about 8 hours to decide between white or brown rice.

This recipe works with most of God's creatures.
We used to raise them for food. I had forgotten that recipe. We sometimes added carrots too.

·
MSGO Court Jester
35,219 Posts
I've only eaten wild rabbits but, people say farm-raised rabbits are FINE. I'd like to try them.
I didn't have a farm, lived in the city and had them in cages in the back yard. Also had a couple of domestic turkeys. Yes, the domestic rabbit is very tasty. I've had wild rabbit too, couldn't tell much difference, except the wild had less fat and was tougher.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the help. Got fox problems now... one grab a one of our chickens today right in front of my wife.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Always plant 1/3 more than you think you need, so that you will harvest something for yourself.
Squirrels running back and forth stealing every darn plum on the tree. Chip, my Jack Russell, sitting in shade playing with a lizard.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts