Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Range amenities and future plans

3K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  DevilDog 
#1 ·
While going over things needed to be done to turn this into reality, I was thinking of what would make this a great facility.

Some through email have said it's not uncommon for shooters to arrive a week in advance for practice. I think a little building with a window unit and a solid bench would be a nice touch for those wanting to do load development.

A covered firing line at 600 would be a huge plus, as would one at 1000 so to utilize the same target area, the firing points would need to be staggered. I don't expect construction of these covers right now, but I want to leave us the option to have them.

If anyone else has suggestions, now is the time. I'll be rough sketching out the range this weekend to give to Mr. Sojourner Monday.

#2 ·
I think, in order to have as wide a firing line as possible, just cover the 1000 yard line. I think plenty of folks have the pop up canopies to cover at the other yardages. They can be had for under $100 for those that don't have one. That would probably make it one of the least expensive pieces of a rifle shooter's kit!

#4 ·
jbpmidas said:
I think, in order to have as wide a firing line as possible, just cover the 1000 yard line. I think plenty of folks have the pop up canopies to cover at the other yardages. They can be had for under $100 for those that don't have one. That would probably make it one of the least expensive pieces of a rifle shooter's kit!
I'd really like to wind up with a hard surface at 600 and 1000. With benchrest shooters a hard surface may be mandatory. If we plan to have a hard surface like concrete or asphalt at 600 it would be impossible to use unless it was covered, unless you like to be fried. I would not want to rely on temporary cover for this. I also said I wanted to make it a nice place to shoot. I helped tear down the tents at Burns for the state championship and it was a PITA. I'm trying to minimize anything that takes time away from shooting.

#6 ·
What about a firing line like the Center-East range at Magnolia? A covered area with concrete and an open area just in front of that. The covered area is for F-Class and Benchrest and the open area is for Hi-Power. Not sure what blackpowder guys like (covered or open). The true firing distances would only vary by 10-12 feet.

#8 ·
SubGunFan said:
What about a firing line like the Center-East range at Magnolia? A covered area with concrete and an open area just in front of that. The covered area is for F-Class and Benchrest and the open area is for Hi-Power. Not sure what blackpowder guys like (covered or open). The true firing distances would only vary by 10-12 feet.

I would prefer the open area in front for F-Class also. My rifles behave much better off of dirt or grass than concrete. At MSSA, they have this set up. A covered area for Benchrest and F-Class and other prone disciplines shoot in front on grass. They also have 2,3,500 lines that are not covered.

#9 ·
SubGunFan said:
I agree with JBP, elevate the 1000yd line (maybe much narrower) to shoot over the 600yd line cover. We might be looking at a 10' tall mound. However, we also have to look at the dirt source for this type construction.

Funny you should pop up, I was planning on drafting asking you to volunteer some of your expertise on laying out the firing points. The American Marksmanship Academy in Georgia ran into a problem with one of the firing points obscuring the targets from another. We don't need problems like that.

I like the idea of a grass area in front. Palo Alto has a covered area with grass underneath, I just don't know how well we could get a grass to grow well in permanent shade.

Here's what a range with the 1000 yard off to the side would look like. It would be 6 degrees off.

If we shoot over a tin roof at 600 at 1000 would the mirage be a huge problem coming off the metal?

#11 ·
I'm just reading up on all this.
But it looks to me like your shooting location is staying the same and your target positions are moving to give you the distance wanted. Right?
If that be the case then you only need one covered firing line. Right?
Or am I looking at it wrong?
But still either way you can still have a nice concrete pad without permanent cover at 600.

#13 ·
Oh, yeah I see said the blind man. One berm = less construction time/money
I wasn't thinking about needing multiple berms the other way and them getting in the way with only one shooting point.
But you can still have nice pads to shoot from and the EZ-up tents are like 5minuted or less putting up and taking down.

#16 ·
jbpmidas said:
Except for 600, MSSA's firing lines are all grass berms. No need for concrete unless benchrest is going to use it.
You don't need to erect a tent either, it's just nicer.

At 200 XTC we stand and shoot, no need for concrete for that, then we fire either one or two strings of 10 rounds in 80 seconds.

At 300 we fire either one or two strings prone in 70 seconds. Not there long.

By this time its around noon and we have to fire slow fire at 600, 20 shots in 20 minutes. It would be nice to have a covered spot at 600 while in a heavy shooting coat on those hot summer days and also if it starts to rain. Grass doesn't grow well shaded, if at all. Concrete is better than mud and fire ants any day, plus once its there there is no maintenance. I will not put up tents over concrete, if we stay with tents, the line will be grass.

#20 ·
Phillip your diagram is accurate. 6 deg. tangent over a 1000 yards is 315 feet, should have the 600 yard firing line out of the way for the 1,000 position. My 2 cents, raise the firing lines slightly get the pit construction completed, we can come back at a later date when the money is available and concrete ( if decided) and cover them.
Canopies work fine and are cheap for temporary shelter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.