Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well now that I have me's little wife a new (used) Mohawk 600 its time to do something with the one with damaged rifling. The barreled is action about 85-90 %. I have decided that replacing the barrel with a used unknown count barrel would not be cost effective (Bluing, chambering and barrel). So what do you guys think about having it re bored to a 308? I would then have a 308 and wifey a 243. I don't know who is best in or out of state at this and I don't know what twist I would need for a 18.5" barrel. Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
450 Posts
FWIW- from what I see at J E S website, they only rebore 35 cal and up. I could be wrong. Give them an email widetrackman and inquire. You don't know for sure until you ask.

doggoner

·
Registered
756 Posts
Last time I looked, rebarreling was only slightly more expensive than reboring. Original barrel caliber stamp is one issue I don't care for. If it was mine, I would rebarrel. In a short barrel in 308, I would go with a 1x10 twist, and shoot heavier bullets ( 165 to 180 gr.)

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
if the gun shoots why would you want it changed to 308 243 kills deer just fine

Reactions: checker

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last time I looked, rebarreling was only slightly more expensive than reboring. Original barrel caliber stamp is one issue I don't care for. If it was mine, I would rebarrel. In a short barrel in 308, I would go with a 1x10 twist, and shoot heavier bullets ( 165 to 180 gr.)
Yep, I think I'll go with the 308 18.5" or 20". Need rifle as light as possible but not to the point of effecting or limiting hunting ammo selection, however I have capability to hand load. Now what barrel to buy and gunsmith to install. Looked at Shaw and a little scared; CM barrel $210 install $130 and will blue barrel $50 or rifle $130 , Douglas CM XX price $500 installed in white or Hart CM barrel $330 waiting on install cost in white. Shilen too high barrel cost CM $435, Bartlien CM $355 Barrel in white, installed $310= $665. My take is Bartlien and Hart are just as good as Shilen I don't know what Gunsmith I would want to use if I just bough a Barrel. I don't think there would be any difference in cost as to local smiths ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if the gun shoots why would you want it changed to 308 243 kills deer just fine
Wife fired with dirt in barrel . She droped rile, dirt went up barrel . She though she could take a stick in barrel to get out dirt. Did not work. Then shot a nice 8 pt . I later went to range see if scope is ok. Gun shooting all over the place. Looked in barell OMG 1" rifling gone 4" from muzzel, so you see?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
7mm08, is the answer,

but you skipped over 260 Rem.
Never very much public interest in 260 and ammo some what limited. Difference between 7mm08 and 308 is nil notwithstanding less recoil of 7mm08. Really no need for 7mm08 unless your splitting hairs on ballistics and need the lightest recoil for Women or kids just starting. The 308 is one of the most popular calibers today with many cheaper factory loads as well as components for reloading. In the last 10 years the interest in the 7mm08 has been declining in my opinion. However both are great calibers and its all in the eyes of the beholder. You can never go wrong with a 308 and even a 7mm08. My .02 worth.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Ok, not 2 cents worth of difference in the 260 Rem, and the current Super Star, 6.5 Creedmore.
It's just what/ who the MFG's are pushing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well now that I have me's little wife a new (used) Mohawk 600 its time to do something with the one with damaged rifling. The barreled is action about 85-90 %. I have decided that replacing the barrel with a used unknown count barrel would not be cost effective (Bluing, chambering and barrel). So what do you guys think about having it re bored to a 308? I would then have a 308 and wifey a 243. I don't know who is best in or out of state at this and I don't know what twist I would need for a 18.5" barrel. Advice appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, not 2 cents worth of difference in the 260 Rem, and the current Super Star, 6.5 Creedmore.
It's just what/ who the MFG's are pushing.
Was not talking about 260, (yea shoots faster,flatter and less ft lbs) as .02 worth difference just not too popular as a hunting cal. when compared to a popular hunting rifle 7mm08/308. I am talking about Hunting Rifles not Bench/Range rifles. As to the 6.5 Creedmoor in my opinion mostly a bunch of hype once you leave the Bench/Rifle shooters and there demand for 1/2"-3/4" group. There are a number of rifle calibers for hunting rifles, just no need for 6.5 over others its as I said its in the eyes of the beholder. BTW there are a number articles on the net by experts in the shooting industry stating that the only plus about the 6.5 over other similar hunting calibers is at the Range and large game would never know the difference

1 - 15 of 15 Posts