Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a wood stock ruger 10/22. I know it’s a great gun, but the stain is pretty ugly. I was wondering if anyone has experience stripping and re-staining a wooden stock and what to do to make it pretty.

·
Chief cook and bottle washer
2,681 Posts
Is it a plain stock or laminate ? Birch or walnut? Checkering or no checkering?
If no checkering, sanding shouldn’t be a problem for you. I normally leave the butt plate/kick pad on, that way it’s all even.
If you do have checkering use painters tape and a razor blade, tape them up and carefully cut away excess tape, you can work on it after sanding the rest.
You can start with 600 then go smoother 800,1200 more if you want it, I’ve used up to 2000 grit for a mirror finish.
Are you wanting to go darker or natural?
Sorry, I’ve ask a lot of questions.
I’m sure someone else is better at this than me but I work slow when refinishing a stock, you can take more off but never put it back on.
If you want to answer the questions maybe even a pic or 2 would help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If no checkering, sanding shouldn’t be a problem for you. I normally leave the butt plate/kick pad on, that way it’s all even.
If you do have checkering use painters tape and a razor blade, tape them up and carefully cut away excess tape, you can work on it after sanding the rest.
You can start with 600 then go smoother 800,1200 more if you want it, I’ve used up to 2000 grit for a mirror finish.
I’m sure someone else is better at this than me but I work slow when refinishing a stock, you can take more off but never put it back on.
I honestly have no idea what type of wood it is. I’ll post a photo if anyone can tell. I’ve seen some videos online where people put some solution that pulls the stain out and then they sand a little. Didn’t know if anyone had experience with that. I definitely want to go darker with a shiny elegant finish.

·
Chief cook and bottle washer
2,681 Posts
I can’t tell by the pic
is this a newer model or older one ?
when you do get it stripped go to Lowes or Home Depot find a stain you like and try it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts