Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,531 Posts
I'm not sure any dog in the fight is better than no dog. Even if they go after low hanging fruit it leaves the bigger pcs for the better organizations out there.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The only reason I care about that group of worthless junk mailers is the National Firearms Museum in Virginia. Now if they decide to become relevant again and become a the staunch supporters of the 2nd I will reassess my opinion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Join 'em all, and let the politicians sort it out. ;)

But do your research first. Not all all of them are what they claim to be.
Or just do your research first and don't bother with organizations that aren't doing what they claim to be doing and have poor track records like the NRA. Save that membership fee and buy ammo instead.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Or just do your research first and don't bother with organizations that aren't doing what they claim to be doing and have poor track records like the NRA. Save that membership fee and buy ammo instead.
I said do your research first, in my post. You should, rather than jumping on the leftist bandwagon against the NRA. While it's "cool" to hate on the NRA, it's not based on the whole truth.

While the NRA has it's problems, in the past and still today, it's done more for 2A than any other organization. I'm not originally from Mississippi, but Miami, Florida. Growing up there weren't the gun traditions there that there are here. Most homes didn't have a firearm, and most folks only thought about guns for hunting. And, if they didn't hunt (most of them) they didn't care about firearms, or anti-gun laws. Most households didn't have a gun, most families I knew didn't have guns. I've lived all across this country, and it's a big world out there, and lots of folks don't think the way we do here. Even some folks that live here don't think about guns like we do. NRA education programs have changed peoples attitudes about firearms from "duck hunters" to "protect the 2A." It isn't perfect, but no group is. I believe it's time for LaPierre to go, but even if that happens, the left will find some other whipping horse to try to undermine the NRA. It's what they do.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,531 Posts
Exactly, and like I said the more dogs in the fight the more pigs will fall.

Reactions: Hoot G

·
Registered
98 Posts
I said do your research first, in my post. You should, rather than jumping on the leftist bandwagon against the NRA. While it's "cool" to hate on the NRA, it's not based on the whole truth.

While the NRA has it's problems, in the past and still today, it's done more for 2A than any other organization. I'm not originally from Mississippi, but Miami, Florida. Growing up there weren't the gun traditions there that there are here. Most homes didn't have a firearm, and most folks only thought about guns for hunting. And, if they didn't hunt (most of them) they didn't care about firearms, or anti-gun laws. Most households didn't have a gun, most families I knew didn't have guns. I've lived all across this country, and it's a big world out there, and lots of folks don't think the way we do here. Even some folks that live here don't think about guns like we do. NRA education programs have changed peoples attitudes about firearms from "duck hunters" to "protect the 2A." It isn't perfect, but no group is. I believe it's time for LaPierre to go, but even if that happens, the left will find some other whipping horse to try to undermine the NRA. It's what they do.

Every time I've dug into the history of the NRA I've found them doing nothing but selling us out at the last minute or blatantly doing so in the open in the past 50 years or so. That's about as long as Biden has been a Senator and gotten nothing done too.

I've never met a single person who got into guns because of the NRA or any of the things they offer. Usually as of late it's been video games, movies, or just already having that interest. Some people from this past year woke up and realized that they could only rely on themselves to protect themselves, the NRA did not shape that thought in the slightest.

I could care less who the left decides to be their whipping boy for their problems, I do care when their whipping boy succumbs to the beatings and admits defeat but has the nerve to stand before all of us and say "We're your best hope". Yes, no group is perfect but when you compare the GOA for example to the NRA, while the NRA has massively larger lobbying capabilities, they give up legal fights left and right or refuse to take them. The NRA said California was a lost cause early on and never tried to intervene or stop it. The GOA stepped in for court battles when they wouldn't and they've had success.

So yes, the whole truth is that in 50 years or more the NRA has done nothing good for gun rights in this nation or individual states. We can't base a group on how good they are to us on past success alone, they have to continue it. They have failed. WalMart of today was not the WalMart of yesteryear and when people decide not to shop at WalMart because of their political views and the fact just about everything in there is made in China junk we don't sit there to tell them how Sam Walton ran the company differently and we should support his legacy.

It doesn't take much research to realize how the NRA is not an organization worth joining. Other groups, it can take some as many are much smaller so finding their successes can be harder. You always hear about the NRA because they have the money to advertise themselves everywhere. Getting rid of LaPierre wouldn't be enough when the rest of the heads feel the same way he does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many thanks for all the comments. As stated due to obvious changes within the NRA over the past number of years, I had chosen not to re-new my long term membership. I’m approaching 64 years old and as we all know our world as we have known it is collapsing....and so damn fast. I still find it amazing that a deeply embedded American institution such as the NRA has succumb to the powers that be. Apparently money is indeed the root of all evil. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts