close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recipe for parched peanuts?

Discussion in 'Mississippi Cooking Forum' started by NRA_guy, Oct 4, 2017.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Anybody got an unfailing recipe for parched peanuts?

I find that the cooking time varies from one batch to another. I have to keep checking them, and then take them out "just before they are done" because they keep cooking.

That gets hard to judge and the end result is the peanuts vary in doneness from batch to batch.

That drives me nuts. I want repeatability and consistency.

I just want to put them in the oven, set it at some temperature, set the timer, and take them out when the timer beeps.

Here is the recipe that I am using now:

-------------------------------------

Parched Peanuts

1 pound (approximately) of dry, raw peanuts in the shell

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Spread peanuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet or shallow baking pan and cook them on the middle rack in the oven.

Set the timer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, take a peanut out and taste it. Repeat about every 5 minutes.

Total cooking time will be a total of about 25 minutes. It may take a little more or a little less time.

Peanuts will continue to cook from their own internal heat for a few minutes; so take them out when they are slightly underdone.
    ---------------------------------------

oldwelder, 94LEVERFAN and Cliff731 like this.
  2. phillipl8

phillipl8 Full Poster

A friend told me this a while back but haven't tried it.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Put in peanuts. Turn oven off. Wait till cool enough to eat before taking out of oven. Don't open door to check on them ( hard part ).

Good luck.

canebreaker, sigpro2022 and fordpkup like this.

3. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

4. sigpro2022

sigpro2022 Distinguished Poster

This is how my father did it.

5. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Wow! I had never heard of that technique.

I will try it on a small batch of peanuts and see how it turns out.

60 years ago in front of the theater in DeKalb they had a small thing that they sold warm parched peanuts out of. It sat out on the sidewalk near the theater entrance. The peanuts were in little paper sacks. The machine looked much like one of those big popcorn machines that you used to see.

I am not sure how the peanuts got parched and put in the bags---I think the machine was mostly for keeping them warm. But they tasted great and the smell was heavenly.

The black and white western movies back then were equally great (unlike those today). :)

Rachet_36, canebreaker and fordpkup like this.
  6. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep JEEP MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    I just did my bag the other night that I got at mitchel farms Saturday. Oven at 350 for 22 minutes is what I ended up doing. Took me a while though. Don't want to see aother peanut for a few more days. Ended with two slam full gallon ziplock bags full.

7. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

love some just undercooked. roasted just enough that the red sleeves will rub off easily, but still a little moisture in the nut. Also growing up locally and working in SJacktown, Betty Street use to sell little bags of roasted Peanuts that were great. They had some tumbling device as I recall that did theirs.

8. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

"The black and white western movies back then were equally great (unlike those today)."
    walmart had a tin of 50 movies, westerns, John Wayne, War, Scifi, Drama and so for $10. Yep, we bought a few. If we can't find a movie locally we look on TCM.
    The small parts store in Bruce had an old sewing machine frame with burners, small motor to roll a metal 5 gallon bucket to parch peanuts in.

NRA_guy likes this.