close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend a scope for .270 Win

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by TwangBanger, Jan 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have a Winchester Model 70 Stainless in .270 Win. caliber that I took in on trade.
    Considering I don't deer hunt, I have no practical use for the gun. I can count on one hand the number of times I've hunted deer in my life, and probably have fingers left over.

I don't foresee starting now, either.
    A.) I weigh in excess of 400 lbs., so I'm not climbing up in no tree.
    B.) I work part time for a church, so there's no cash to pay an expensive lease or club dues.
    C.) I drive a mini-van with 13" tires, so I can't go anywhere that the roads aren't pretty good.

The Winchester is listed for sale in the classifieds, but I realize that the last half of January is probably not the best time to sell a deer rifle. It will probably sit in my safe until October; but I figure as long as I have it, I may as well shoot it a little. Besides, I need a good excuse to use the rifle range at Coast Rifle & Pistol Club, instead of always being on the pistol ranges.

Before anyone chimes in recommending a Zeissaworski Turbo-Death 2000 ZoomMaster Magnum Deluxe in 45X, . . . . please understand, I'm not sinking any money into this gun, other than a couple boxes of cheap ammo. I have four odd scopes sitting here at my house, not being used for anything, so it will be one of those. I'm seeking recommendations as far as which one would be best for a .270.

Scope 1 . . . Tasco 3-9x40
    Scope 2 . . . Redhead 3-9x40 (Bass Pro's private-label, supposedly made for Bass Pro by Nikon)
    Scope 3 . . . Simmons 3-9x50
    Scope 4 . . . Leupold Vari-X II, 2-7x32 (1970's or 80's model, belonged to my late grandfather)

This will just be used for occasional plinking/target shooting at the range, not to exceed 300 yards. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks.

Mesquite likes this.
  2. Oldbuzzard

Oldbuzzard Distinguished Poster

any will do what you want, Leupold is the best scope listed will have the best glass.

3. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Bolton
    What he said ^

94LEVERFAN, Mesquite and 93bronco like this.
  4. Soonered

Soonered Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

5. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

I've owned a redhead and it was an ok scope. I don't know how it compares to a 70s model luepold.

94LEVERFAN, Mesquite and lazi like this.
  6. lazi

lazi Distinguished Poster

I have a Nikon 3x9x40 on my .270 handy rifle. I could probably find something nicer but since it's not my main rifle for anything I'm not going to bother with it. I'm thinking that Redhead scope would be my choice.

7. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I quit deer hunting in 1993. One of the biggest regrets of my life, was selling my Remington 700 ADL in .308. I had a Redfield 3-9x40 on it and it would shoot .75 MOA all day long with redbox Federal, .25 MOA with Gold Box. I'm talking me shooting it off the bench at 100 yards. Not having a hunting use for it is not necessarily a good reason to let it go.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a Tasco on it, but Luepold is better.

Mesquite and TwangBanger like this.
  8. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Got a Bushnell Sportview, been on a 30.06 for 25 + yrs.
    sighted in once, still good for minute of deer.

9. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Steve for what you are going to be doing I would suggest whatever fits your eye the best. Some folks hop up and down for a nightforce. I don't see through them worth a crap and wouldn't buy one. Forget about names, try what you have, and put the best one on it

TwangBanger and BasMstr like this.
  10. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    Choosing what you have as a selection I'd have to go
    with #4,the older Leupold, if it should malfunction you
    should know that their warranty is for life even if you
    are not the original owner. A relative of mine bought a
    used 44X competition scope that dated from the 1980s
    for a few hundred dollars and it lasted about a year when
    it went belly up so he sent it back to Leupold for repair
    and they informed him that they no longer had the
    parts on hand to service that model SO, they sent him
    a BRAND NEW Competiton model 45X and it was priced
    MSRP at $1429.00 and all he paid for the one that died
    was $300.00, hard to match that deal getting a nearly
    five to one return on value, the only other make I'd
    suggest that isn't on your list is a Vortex since on paper
    at least they offer the same unconditional repair and or
    replace warranty as Leupold does. Good luck whichever
    you ultimately choose.

TwangBanger likes this.
  11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

+1 on vortex.
    Y'all are gonna come to know me as the guy that always preaches about vortex' on every scope thread I've come across I start hollerin vortex.

12. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

If you have in the back of your mind, selling the gun in the fall, I would not get a high dollar scope.
    Here,s why, the future buyer is not going to want to buy the gun and give you what you have in the scope too. With few exceptions. Most scopes today have a Lifetime warranty. I would get a Tasco World Class scope in 3x9x50mm for 60 dollars from Natchez or a 3x9x40 stainless for $49.99.
    I have a Tasco Pronghorn that I have had on a Marlin 39AS for 28 years. It will shoot a 3/8s inch group at 37 yards . Now if you want to keep a scope, you can pay as much as you choose.
    For a scope under 100 dollars, they can,t be beat for clarity and durability.
    I like Leupold, Nikon, Swift, and Zeiss if I want hunting scope for serious deer hunting. But I had a best friend that has passed on now and he had Tasco on his 270 that I gave him.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    TwangBanger and rigrat like this.