Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Kel-Tec P17 after jonesing for one for over a year. 22Plinkster's YouTube video sold me on it. Today I caught one:
  1. In stock
  2. At a price I was willing to pay
  3. While I had some cash on hand
Now I'm in the market for my first suppressor. What do y'all recommend for a relatively inexpensive .22 caliber can? Should I go online or through a store? This is all new ground for me.

Brown Sleeve Material property Font Auto part

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
Form 4 - hard to beat the dead air mask hd 22. One of the quietest first round pop.
Form 1 - I recommend XRT tactical parts.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
Griffin and rugged make good stuff too. I’d actually recommend the Griffin Optimus micro, run it on your little 22 and can run it on 223. More bang for your buck, and wait

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
Definitely go online, and find the nearest kiosk to finish the work and fingerprints. It’s very simple. Which form 4s are online now anyway.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a Thunderbeast TD-22 and swap it back and forth from a rifle to pistol. It is quiet and easy to clean, but when you put it back on the rifle you usually have to fine tune your zero with 2-3 shots to get it back perfect. Not sure if all brands are like that

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Griffin and rugged make good stuff too. I’d actually recommend the Griffin Optimus micro, run it on your little 22 and can run it on 223. More bang for your buck, and wait
Please elaborate, I'd like to make that purchase as well. Being able to run it on both a .22 and .223 would definitely be a major selling point for me.
Also considering something in 9mm, for a 9mm carbine. If that is my purchase I'd like to have something that could also be used on another firearm, in particular .223, if that is feasible / possible. I don't want to spend the money and time on the wait for federal clearance on a suppressor that I could only use on one firearm, one caliber. Someone else had advised me in the past to purchase a 9mm, so that I could also use it on .223, but the models recommended were all a bit beyond my budget at the time, so I never got around to it.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
The Optimus micro is more or less like a bridge between a dedicated rimfire can and a bigger 223/762 can.
I have a regular Optimus which is 9mm size and run it on 9mm, 223, 308, and 300 bo. I could run it on my rimfires but choose not too since have dedicated rimfire cans. Dedicated caliber cans will sometimes be more efficient at sound reduction than a large can run on a smaller caliber. What little you loose in sound reduction you gain in use on more hosts. You’ll probably pay a little more up front but won’t have to have more than one.
Also keep in mind mount prices and availability. Unless just go direct thread on everything.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
Another reason the larger bore cans aren’t great on smaller rimfires is the size and weight of them. A smaller dedicated rimfire can is much more wieldly

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
11,305 Posts
Would a large can get in the way of the iron sights on, say, a .22 handgun?

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
Rugged Occulus, Dead Air Mask HD, Q El Camino would be my choices. The silencerco sparrow is ancient but still a highly rated .22 can.

Stay away from aluminum baffles, and make sure it’s user serviceable, which most rimfire cans are now. Aluminum prevents you from running it in an ultrasonic cleaner, depending on who you ask. They’re a PITA to clean when they get caked in lead. You’ll want to be able to use it on .17 and .22mag as well, even if you don’t think you do right now.

$350-450 will get you an excellent can that will do everything you need on a rimfire and last you a lifetime. Don’t forget the $200 bribe on top of that though.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
Here’s a pretty good decibel rating chart. Granted, these are subsonics, which sound like a mouse fart out of anything, but it gives you an idea.
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Rectangle

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
24,062 Posts
Rugged Occulus, Dead Air Mask HD, Q El Camino would be my choices. The silencerco sparrow is ancient but still a highly rated .22 can.

Stay away from aluminum baffles, and make sure it’s user serviceable, which most rimfire cans are now. Aluminum prevents you from running it in an ultrasonic cleaner, depending on who you ask. They’re a PITA to clean when they get caked in lead. You’ll want to be able to use it on .17 and .22mag as well, even if you don’t think you do right now.

$350-450 will get you an excellent can that will do everything you need on a rimfire and last you a lifetime. Don’t forget the $200 bribe on top of that though.
What does an ultrasonic cleaner do to aluminum baffles that's makes using one a no no.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
Form 1 it as 22lr is easiest thing out there to get quiet
With the current eforms being FUBAR, I don’t know if form 1s will be quite as convenient as they were for a while. Otherwise, yeah a .22 can is an awesome first form 1 candidate.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
What does an ultrasonic cleaner do to aluminum baffles that's makes using one a no no.
My understanding is it damages them. If you go on any NFA page and ask 100 people, 99 will say not to do it and 1 will tell them it’s BS and he’s done it for years. I don’t know of a single company with aluminum baffles that recommends putting them in an ultrasonic cleaner. I know Q(the company, not the cult) recommends cleaning by hand.

ETA: I’m no machinist, metallurgist or engineer. I’m just a guy that spends too much money on guns and silencers and doesn’t want to risk causing unnecessary damage that won’t be covered by a warranty, so I choose to exercise caution.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts