Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
And keep in mind decimal numbers on a chart are one thing. They also change the tone of the report which almost makes the most difference between them.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
And keep in mind decimal numbers on a chart are one thing. They also change the tone of the report which almost makes the most difference between them.
Exactly. If you don’t have a headache 5 minutes into researching silencers, you didn’t do it right. It’s one compromise after another. Thankfully, most .22s sound great, it’s just down to the details.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The problem with rimfire is it is very dirty shooting. Most rimfire cans are "user servicable" which means you clean it yourself. Most centerfire cans require no cleaning. I would be leary of shooting rimfire through a multicaliber can after seeing how dirty mine gets.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
The problem with rimfire is it is very dirty shooting. Most rimfire cans are "user servicable" which means you clean it yourself. Most centerfire cans require no cleaning. I would be leary of shooting rimfire through a multicaliber can after seeing how dirty mine gets.
Agreed.
and I’ve done the dip method as well as scrubbing and wire brushes you name it. Can’t beat US cleaner and purple power. And then some good lube on the baffles to help prevent build up.
If I did run a big can on rimfire, I’d run a few centerfire rounds through it periodically to keep it blown out in between cleanings.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I do love my sparrow, but the design is getting old. If buying today would be hard decision between it and the Dead Air Mask HD, and the Q El Camino.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
Has anyone got experience with the Quietbore Form 1 kit for .22 LR?
.22LR Form 1 Kit - Quietbore.com
I looked into them initially. Seems like good stuff. Just have to have your form 1 submitted before you order. Which I guess isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Just not necessarily required since it’s not a regulated part until you drill them out.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Has anyone got experience with the Quietbore Form 1 kit for .22 LR?
.22LR Form 1 Kit - Quietbore.com
You could do worse, you could do better. QB uses old tech (k-cups) and they just look cheap. For what they cost, I wouldn't.

The reason QB requires a form1 first when nobody else does is because the ATF raided them.

XRT and Muted Machine are top tier.

XRT site is down. He's been working on adding upgrades and new products lately. Give Dave some time and he'll have it back up.

If eForm4 levels the playing field where wait time is concerned, Form1 will probably get less popular. It's main appeal is you can have a stamp in hand and build a suppressor in a few weeks vs waiting 9-15 months for a commercial can. If they both start taking 3 months for approval, Form1 is going back to a niche market and machinists selling materials for them will start vanishing.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Can anyone speak knowledgeably about the Silencerco Warlock II? For under $250, it has caught my eye. It’s all aluminum but I would be using it for a .22lr only. I have no desire to get into 22 mag or .17HMwhatever.

I understand about the aluminum baffles not being cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. However, I have a wet tumbler and stainless steel pins, does this work for cleaning aluminum baffles?

Any Warlock II users out there? Given my stated uses, is there anything I would regret about purchasing this instead of spending another $1-200 on a fancier suppressor?

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
Can anyone speak knowledgeably about the Silencerco Warlock II? For under $250, it has caught my eye. It’s all aluminum but I would be using it for a .22lr only. I have no desire to get into 22 mag or .17HMwhatever.

I understand about the aluminum baffles not being cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. However, I have a wet tumbler and stainless steel pins, does this work for cleaning aluminum baffles?

Any Warlock II users out there? Given my stated uses, is there anything I would regret about purchasing this instead of spending another $1-200 on a fancier suppressor?
No experience personally. Just know I would not choose an AL rimfire can at all. Especially when can spend $50 more for stainless. Also The warlock is not full auto rated. So that also tells you it’s not near as durable as the stainless ones. With the wait and expense of a can I 1000% recommend don’t skimp.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Interesting thread. I've tried researching suppressors off and on for years, usually just give up, too confusing. If I do find one people seem to like I soon find just as many who hate it. Still confused. Don't want to get tied into one with the wait and expense only to find, after 6 or 10 months, that I've made a mistake.
"Meanwhile
I'm still thinkin'..."
(apologies to TRex and Chuck Berry)

·
Registered
15,694 Posts

100% what OMM said. It shouldn’t be this way, but silencers are for life. Spend the extra $100-200 and know you’ll be happier.

I doubt the wet tumble with stainless steel pins would be ok, since stainless steel is harder than aluminum, but that’s just me guessing.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
Interesting thread. I've tried researching suppressors off and on for years, usually just give up, too confusing. If I do find one people seem to like I soon find just as many who hate it. Still confused. Don't want to get tied into one with the wait and expense only to find, after 6 or 10 months, that I've made a mistake.
"Meanwhile
I'm still thinkin'..."
(apologies to TRex and Chuck Berry)
In most cases, even a “bad silencer” is way better than no silencer. There are a few exceptions, but spend the money and decide what features are important to you and accept there will always be some compromise. Buy a bigger name brand, with good reviews and you’ll be happy.

Silencer brands are like everything else in this country: full of cults. Some people confuse their preferred brand with a personality and that’s when you see most of the arguments.

I just want more people shooting suppressed, I couldn’t care less what brand someone uses.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
In most cases, even a “bad silencer” is way better than no silencer. There are a few exceptions, but spend the money and decide what features are important to you and accept there will always be some compromise. Buy a bigger name brand, with good reviews and you’ll be happy.

Silencer brands are like everything else in this country: full of cults. Some people confuse their preferred brand with a personality and that’s when you see most of the arguments.

I just want more people shooting suppressed, I couldn’t care less what brand someone uses.
Agreed

These days there are a ton more tests and videos available than there used to be. Plus more and more people running them to review them so it’s a lot easier making a good decision than just reading one article in a magazine and deciding.

·
Super Moderator
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I looked at the SRT and Muted Machine mentioned in an earlier post. Muted Machine doesn't even list a .22 LR model on their site, and SRT's lowest price .22 LR suppressor is $300 bucks. I was looking at the QuietBore because it's only $180 (with aluminum baffles). I've still got to pay the $200 bribe tax just for the privilege of owning it. I'm looking at being between $400 and $500 bucks just for the can to put on a $200 pistol. Heck, it's not like I'm a professional assassin or anything. :rolleyes: That's a lot of dough to drop on what will basically be a ""toy"".

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
12,395 Posts
I looked at the SRT and Muted Machine mentioned in an earlier post. Muted Machine doesn't even list a .22 LR model on their site, and SRT's lowest price .22 LR suppressor is $300 bucks. I was looking at the QuietBore because it's only $180 (with aluminum baffles). I've still got to pay the $200 bribe tax just for the privilege of owning it. I'm looking at being between $400 and $500 bucks just for the can to put on a $200 pistol. Heck, it's not like I'm a professional assassin or anything. :rolleyes: That's a lot of dough to drop on what will basically be a ""toy"".
Yeah but once you get one you’ll want to get one for all of them. They’re the only way to shoot a rimfire

21 - 40 of 60 Posts