Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some pistol and rifle shooting games you'd recommend for a group of around 16 people with mixed firearms experience and out at a 'farm' (private shooting range in a pasture)? We'll definitely cover the safety points with a safety briefing and control the firearms and ammo (no handling of arms or loading till in the station, etc) so I should be good there. Most of the pistol will be 9mm Glock 17 or similiar and the rifle will be AR-15 (red dot), Garand, Mauser or such.

I've got a little steel (12", 10" and several 6" and 4" plates of AR500 and could possibly purchase a few more) so I can configure something there possibly so let me know what you've seen work with steel (just remember, I have to build this though so can't be a Steel Challenge course or such).

Also interested in paper target games.
-tick tack toe
-different shapes on paper, spin a wheel to see what shapes have to be shot, timed
-put up a calendar and see who can get closest to a certain date
-others...

What have you seen work?

PS: anyone around the Jackson area that we know of that 'rents' such...comes out and sets up a steel course or similar? Sure sounds like a business opportunity for someone much like the bouncy castles! :) (couldn't imagine the insurance headache)

·
Deplorable
2,154 Posts
Water jugs like tea or milk, fill 10 with water, shoot twice, mag change, whoever shoots their five jugs first wins.. You can spread them out even have to move to shoot some.. You get the idea.. This should be done with an AR of course.

I like the swinging targets too, like between to posts spread out so you get the long travel..

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Any type of target that "does something" will make it more fun for the group. Clay's, gongs, milk jugs, all fill that bill. Also, a dueling tree would be fun if you have access to one, but that would require two shooters be on the line at once...with inexperienced shooters that may not be something you want to do.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
For .22 rifles, Battleship and Darts are a couple of my favorites.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Message Phillip Stew!! We always do the animals with the 22s for groups at the club. The deal is it is cheap to shoot. Most groups that come are thinking about costs! Make them shoot several guns. 5 shots each gun at same target with different guns. Then best score wins. Just whatever you can think up. If you know someone with a fifty, have them bring it and charge $5 per shot. Let the people pay. This is always a big hit with groups!

·
Seeker of wisdom & Purveyor of the truth!
676 Posts
A bunch of cheap 2 litre sodas "shaken well" with tannerite or something similar attached, this can make shooting a 22 a lot of fun.

·
Administrator
13,000 Posts
For pistols set up a bowling pin match. Two 4x8 sheets of plywood set on sawhorses. Side by side. Set 5 pins one foot deep on the plywood. Start from low ready. Start signal is a cheep air horn. Whoever gets all their pins completely off the table pins the round.

·
Seeker of wisdom & Purveyor of the truth!
676 Posts
For pistols set up a bowling pin match. Two 4x8 sheets of plywood set on sawhorses. Side by side. Set 5 pins one foot deep on the plywood. Start from low ready. Start signal is a cheep air horn. Whoever gets all their pins completely off the table pins the round.
One time I seen a group setting up bowing pins like they would be in a bowling game and shooting shotguns at them, I would assume they would be using some sort of heavy load and doing points like regular bowing.

·
Premium Member
13,548 Posts
I’ve got a battery powered skeet thrower you can borrow if you want to add shotguns. It holds 75. Also have shotguns you can borrow.

·
Premium Member
6,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bunch of good stuff. Dualing tree, balloons, bowling pins and clays (hung from sting/binder clips) all sound very doable.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
22 Pistols, revolver and semi auto are fun and the ammo is cheap now. I tried the balloons by myself and had fun.
Tell them to have hearing protection and stress safety, always careful where the muzzle is pointed. Have fun.

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
A car shoot a car.
A car is a good idea. People will get a realistic idea of barrier penetration and bullet path, expansion( or lack thereof) with their ammo, not just what happens to a block of jello on youtube. Especially if the round hits at a angle. Ditto with sheetrock, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL! Think I’ll avoid the mess of shooting a vehicle...gotta leave the property ‘as found’.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts