Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who developed an interest in deer hunting last season and who came to me asking “what’s a good, cheap, starter rifle and what caliber should I use”. Well, I’m no deer hunter; my firearms interest is milsurp and trap shooting. When I was a deer hunter, 30 years ago, all I ever used was a Marlin lever gun in 30/30 or 35 REM, so, I was at a loss for anything to tell him. Figured I’d ask around though, and try to help my buddy out.

He figures his longest shot on the property he hunts is ~200 yards. He wants to buy something new because he doesn’t trust used things, but also something cheap, in case he loses interest. He would like a scoped rifle, bolt action, magazine feed, and in a common caliber. I know, he’s not asking for much, is he.

And before anyone asks “what rifle did he use last year?”. All I know is it was some flavor of 270 that he borrowed off the woman he was dating at the time. But that’s not a thing anymore. It has to be tough on a guy to be in his 40’s and back in dating pool. I don’t think I would have the strength to even try that again. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes he could buy something tried and true like an old Remington 700 IF he were willing to wait until after hunting season. There are ALWAYS lots of bargain hunting rifles, often complete with a telescope, beginning around February or March. People pawn & lose their guns, or just sell them outright.
The first thing I told him was that he picked the absolute worse time to go looking for a hunting rifle. I also suggested a good used rifle, but he really seems to want a new gun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts